Getting HOTT in a snowstorm

Started by d_Guy, 14 March 2017, 09:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Terry37 has gotten me a fired up about Hordes of the Things (and thanks for all the help and suggestions,Terry!). We are in the midst of a Spring snowstorm but I want to learn HOTT for a specific fantasy application. As I start to acquire those figures I ran up magnetic sabots to produce Montrose Royalist vs Scots Covenanter armies (per the HOTT 2.1 army lists)

I have pitted these two forces against one another using Forlorn Hope, Pike and Shotte, Regiment of Foote, OHW and Baroque (and that just in the last year).

So, once more into the breach:

Here is my blog post on this subject:
https://leadenshipsandtinmen.com/2017/03/14/hordes-of-the-things/
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Techno

Looking very nice, Bill.

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Wanting to have more element types available for my nascent study of HOTT, I've added a few more:

Given the usual high standard of brushwork and artistry appearing in this forum, I need to apologize for the last one. It is even more quick and dirty than my usually efforts, I simply need something to practice the rules with:

There is additional information and delightful witticisms at my blog post:
https://leadenshipsandtinmen.com/2017/03/18/additional-hott-elements/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

d_Guy

I am having a good deal of fun with HOTT. It's almost a hobby from my hobby!
I plan to use it with several fantasy things I want to do (it requires a low number of figures and works with everything).  Does it satisfy the needs of a player who loves vast detail and "realism"?  No, but it provides much entertainment in translating, say a band of forest sprites and their dragonflies,  to a capable army that can take on the Royal Welch Fusiliers.

I did a lot of practice play but finally decided to take some of my Celtic Fringe stuff and re-fight Tippermuir:

At the height of the battle, Montrose is finding it a very tough slog against a Covenanter Army which is more than living up to Lord Elcho's expectations. Royalists are dropping like flies and the Covenanter horse is now in their rear:

As MacColla stands in amazement at his inability to drive the lowland fencibles off the high ground, Montrose manages to get himself killed leading a charge in the Center. Lord Elcho gains a decisive victory and ends the Royalist threat in Scotland:

For those of you finding time on your hands the full battle report is at my blog:
https://leadenshipsandtinmen.com/2017/04/13/tippermuir-a-hott-battle-report/

Incidentally the thread title is no longer correct as Winter (along with the Royalists) is fleeing: