Here we go again ?

Started by grahambeyrout, 14 March 2017, 03:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grahambeyrout

Since I have already been a member of the forum for a whole 20 hours or so, I thought it was time to introduce myself in the time-honoured manner. I am a new convert to 10mm, having done 25mm for 3 years and 15/18mm for 40 years. I started in 10mm a year ago by building 2 armies for the War of Northern Aggression (Yes I like to stir sometimes) and then getting a few Colonials. Both these were new periods to me. I am now starting with Napoleonic's which is not. Gathering 40 years worth of dusk in my cupboards is a moderate (circa 600 strong) nominally 15mm Napoleonic French/Austrian force which I never finished because of scale creep. Based on old Minifig strips, I suddenly found that new 18mm Cavalry dwarfed my little horse grenadiers (They even dwarfed some 15mm elephants I had) and I gave up in despair. The next 40 years were spent with 18mm Ancients and SYW. It was hard starting Napoleonics again, partly because the period is not that different really to SYW (compared to say WWII, Medieval or Renaissance) but it was always my first love (and my first 25mm and my first 15mm army) I have now taken the plunge. Admittedly, I did dither over whether to go for 6mm or 10mm for a long time, but came down on the side of 10mm since a) I wanted a little extra opportunity to display the wonderful Napoleonic uniforms, b) I already had some 10mm scenics and c) There are more 10mm ranges out there - I do not want to fall victim to scale creep again..

Leon

Hi Graham, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

d_Guy

Official Welcome! :)
As you mention the time honored manner (I'm a Yank, we drop the "u"), you know what to expect! Need I mention fsn, Westmarcher, or - well a few dozen more! I think you will find that many of us knocked around in other scales (some still do) but all have seen the light and adopted "God's Own Scale". I do mainly  Musket and Pike BTW.
Sleep with clean hands ...

DFlynSqrl

Welcome to the 10mm Addicts Asylum.

Steve J

Techno

And another welcome from me !

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

Welcome Graham, I am sure you will enjoy being part of this asylum.

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Subedai

Wotcha from the south-east...Kent.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fsn

Is your wargames generalship so bad that you're known as Graham Bey (Rout)? If so, then I'm sure you'll get invited to a lot of games. I'm FSN (*tut*Idiot). The *tut*is a bit like "von" in German on "de" in French.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. 10mm is, I have found, a perfect scale for most periods, and Pendraken is a perfect one stop shop for most periods.

Much as I admire your adherence to the greatest period of all, may I humbly point out the other joys in the catalogue? You can do a WWII platoon in 1:1 for less than £10. And they're a lot easier to paint.

Oh, and I hate to mention it, but there's a lovely new Centurion Bridgelayer that has to be bought. 

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald: 2024 - Silver Medal (Cavalry)
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Welcome to the forum, grahambeyrout.  :-h

(mind if I shorten your name to grahambeyrou?)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Never heard of the War of Northern Aggression, unless of course you are referring to those racist, greed merchants of the southern states of the USA being shown the error of their ways in no uncertain terms.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Well, nobody's going to relaih on yo' kaindness, stranger.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.