Figure Scale

Started by Bunny, 14 March 2017, 07:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Hi Guys,

Having never played BKC I am wondering if it works well on a 1 to 1 scale, ie 1 tank is a tank, 1 model soldier is a soldier, so how good is it for this?

Thanks

Bunny

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

WE have in 15mm. Works fine, but issue orders per platoon, and the Plt Com is a fighting element.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

For skirmish, 1-to-1 scale I'd use Chain of Command.

BKC mechanisms revolve around elements and, while they might still give a good game, might give some odd results at 1-to-1. Though, of course, YMMV. 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

It certainly works - and although we play on a nominal 1 stand is a platoon, I think you often end up mentally playing at 1:1 representation.

The hardest bit to get your head around with 1:1 representation is that tanks effectively have hit points, which for me works much better for representing a platoon rather than 1 tank.  
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 14 March 2017, 04:26:45 PM
For skirmish, 1-to-1 scale I'd use Chain of Command.

I think with BKC you can get far more models on the table and still have a playable game compared to CoC

As to what the game represents - that is something else!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

I don't know if/when they might re-appear, but Future War Commander had a set of amendments for "skirmish level" gaming in the back - they work decently, you just need to approach with a rigorous approach to discussion and army lists  8)

As Ian suggests, just using "fighting commanders" and structuring your formations as platoons not battalions will give a decent feel even if you leave everything else as is.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Shedman

Having used the FWC skirmish rules I found that there are a few of issues  with 1-1 scale

Some weapons suddenly become area weapons eg MGs don't just fire at one man

A single rifleman cannot "kill" another infantryman outright due to number of attacks vs  number of hits

Grenades are super weapons but really slow the game down as each grenade is an area attack so  everyone covered by the template have to roll for hits etc

Alan

John Cook

Yes it works at 1:1, or whatever ratio you want (within reason).  I use it for SCW, though I have modified it a little to coincide with my own preconceptions.