Travel battle from perry miniatures, boards usable for 10 mm?

Started by petercooman, 11 March 2017, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

My computer was misbehaving yesterday (and is only a wee bit better today). The letters on the screen are appearing some time after I type them. When I was correcting things yesterday the computer went into meltdown and started putting the letter a in everywhere, like a bad Italian accent. In the end I had to switch off and reboot. I was not happy, but replying on the forum became impossible.

Anyway, what I had intended to say was that, as I'm not that keen on the Napoleonic period, I thought they would be useful as two imagi-nations based roughly on 1850s Piedmont and Denmark.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

I don't know. I'm not entirely sure this is aimed at established wargamers. It's probably more of a generic board game, which they hope wargamers might go for anyway. Or might buy for younger relatives as a birthday/Christmas present?

But then again they are releasing at Salute.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

I think It really is Just that, a Travel wargame. The Perry bros are not known for venturing into the boardgame Business. But we can't know for dure before we gave seen the rules though. This wil give the 'feel' to this game, and determine if its more war or board game.

John Cook

If I took one of these on holiday, my wife of 37 years would finally dump me. 

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 05 April 2017, 02:06:59 AM
If I took one of these on holiday, my wife of 37 years would finally dump me. 

So are you recommending the game or not ?   :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

petercooman

Raider4

Did anyone ever get one of these sets? If so, what did you think?

Big Insect

QuoteI think It really is Just that, a Travel wargame. The Perry bros are not known for venturing into the boardgame Business. But we can't know for dure before we gave seen the rules though. This wil give the 'feel' to this game, and determine if its more war or board game.

I've not bought it. But I can clear up the provenance behind the concept.
Back in the 90's (1990s) I reenacted with Alan & Michael and the Travel Battle idea came out of wanting something to do on a cold wet evening, played by candel/fire-light, along with a lot of drinking, when on an event - often under canvas.
The original travel-battle was made to fit in a large metal biscuit tin - and the figures (6mm I think) were based on magnetic card. It was all very 2D in those days with terrain printed,cut out and stuck to the magna-card.
I cannot remember what period the original was - probably Napoleonics - maybe Wars of the Roses.
So its origins were very much for out-door, on the road gaming.
I spent many a drunken hour being beaten by various members of the White Company, including both of the designers.
Happy Days!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

QuoteI spent many a drunken hour being beaten by various members of the White Company, including both of the designers.
WOT? But game designers never win their own games! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 October 2022, 02:18:50 PMWOT? But game designers never win their own games! :)

Not true with the Perrys - they are fiercely competitive and very good at winning their own games with their own rules.
But Sue Barker is also another exception to your rule - don't ever play her at HOTT (which she wrote) as you will lose!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

Played 6th against Phil (and won) but never played Sue. Did see her in action often enough to know you are right! :)

Played Rick Priestley at Warmaster and won that too. We agreed that he had too many iterations of the game in his head to play successfully, whereas I had only one.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 October 2022, 11:26:52 PMPlayed Rick Priestley at Warmaster and won that too. We agreed that he had too many iterations of the game in his head to play successfully, whereas I had only one.

I know that feeling only too well myself  :D  :D  :D