Travel battle from perry miniatures, boards usable for 10 mm?

Started by petercooman, 11 March 2017, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Set my eyes on ths pre order today:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3637&osCsid=k0qhuic0dtmrd3dg11eid0hpt2

Went looking for some pics and found these:

http://wargameterrain.blogspot.be/2017/03/perry-miniatures-travel-battle.html

Although i dislike the scale, being 8 mm it sits right in between two popular scales, the terrain boards do look nice. Would like to know what you guys think, would these be usable for 10mm?

Have been looking around trying to find more details (like the base sizes in the box), but can't find a lot.

really unsure what to do, would like to preorder, but wondering if they will make the terrain boards available separately. They said on facebook that they will be doing more separate miniatures for this as well, so maybe they will offer the tiles separately in the future and it could be wiser to sit this one out untill they do.

One thing that immediately grabs my attention though, is that the houses look small next to the cavalry figures, so they will look even smaller against 10mm:

Perhaps 6mm houses?

Also, Norm, this seems to be right up your alley :D

petercooman

Actually Just realized that the grid had 1" squares, so that rules out My 40x20 bases  :'(

Shedman

I  was interested until I saw the 8mm bit

Apparently they "toyed with 6mm but found them too small and 10mm were too big to fit with the terrain and scenery so plumped for something in the middle"

I'll keep my £50 for Pendraken's WW1 Irregular Arab cavalry

paulr

That £50 will get you a hell of a lot of WW1 Irregular Arab cavalry ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

Yes, a fascinating idea and at £50, worth a punt. A few things come out of this for me.

Firstly the Perry's are very innovative and apparently well resourced, against the odds the predictions of many, they brought 28mm plastic into mainstream use, the prospect that they can do this at the smaller scale is quite exciting, as is the talk even at this stage of expansion plans.

It is a true travel set, each board is 10" square, so I can see this doing exactly what it says on the tin and being used as a vacation game, I don't think there is another mass battle figures game that you can conveniently do that with.  

The space / time strapped gamer is going to love this.

The fact that we are seeing Plastic Soldier Company and now the Perry's, both mainstream plastic producers starting to embrace grided games in a commercial way shows this emerging market as being quite exciting.  It does seem to hold the potential in being the first single step in a word that could truly go in any direction, including the prospect of just plastic armies in boxes and gamers designing their own boards and sets.

I am pretty sure that in the future, this moment will be looked back upon as being significant in te same way as the Perrys ACW1 Generic 28mm plastic figures were.

Peter - get your pre-order in and be at the front of curve :-)

EDIT .... I am also thinking, plastics NO assembly and paint on the sprue advantages, no blue and red for me!

Steve J

An interesting concept to be sure. Not one for me as when I'm on holiday, I just want to unwind with a good book, get in plenty of swimming etc.

Fenton

The squares are 1"

Is it a coincidence that GW are going to be doing 8mm soon. No idea of the process but I think I read the Perry's still use some of GW's facilities and wondered if they were using some of the machinery and tooling needed for a new size of figure
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

petercooman

There are soms pictures on the net of the tooling, and they claim renedra did It. So don't know about GW influence.

Seeing that GW is doing epic in 8mm, wich is totally uncompatible with napoleonics, i doubt it is little more than a coincidence.

Fenton

I just wondered if special expensive tooling etc needed to be used
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fred.

Quote from: paulr on 12 March 2017, 12:03:33 AM
That £50 will get you a hell of a lot of WW1 Irregular Arab cavalry ;)

So true

I was quite keen on this initially, but less so now. Probably as I don't really have any need of a travel game.

It does look very board game like with the figures being much bigger than the terrain.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

As soon as I saw this I thought now there's a nice little set to be used as the components for Neil Thomas' OHW, painting up the little guys as generic 1850s imaa-nationsa imagi- nationa
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

It's got a few good things going for it and usually the Perrys produce good stuff. But, overall, I don't think I like it (strangely enough, what tipped my decision was the road/track. Going by the box and the miniatures, it's supposed to be horse & musket but the road/track with its ridge running up the middle can only have been made by modern motor vehicles - in an age of animal drawn transport, more than half of which was drawn by one beast, you would not get a ridge running up the middle. Maybe a modern era game will be released later?).  Slightly disappointing.    :-q

p.s. Leman. Were you about to sneeze when you compiled your response?   :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

I noticed the roads as well :(

I also wondered if they could have made it possible for any of the hills to be woods & vice versa :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Shedman on 11 March 2017, 10:52:41 PM
I  was interested until I saw the 8mm bit

Apparently they "toyed with 6mm but found them too small and 10mm were too big to fit with the terrain and scenery so plumped for something in the middle"

I'll keep my £50 for Pendraken's WW1 Irregular Arab cavalry

Of course a cynic might note that by going 8mm they might be attempting to avoid competition from other manufacturers with more comprehensive ranges...   :-\
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )