SYW French Grenadiers

Started by elainepat, 10 March 2017, 05:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elainepat

The French regiment descriptions on Kronoskaf usually depict the grenadiers as wearing a tricorne & as having a sabre instead of a sword.  It does mention some of the regiments as wearing bearskins after 1758.  My question is short of labeling the base, how do you distinguish grenadiers from regular musketeers on the tabletop? Or do you just go ahead & use the grenadiers in bearskins for all regiments?

Also, is it possible to order extra musicians & officers?

Thanks

Duke Speedy of Leighton

If you pop Leon an email about how you want extras,  he will sort that for you.
Hello and welcome btw...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

FierceKitty

Good to see another SYW fan on the board. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

kustenjaeger

Greetings

In 10mm I have/am building 2 24-figure battalions of Grenadiers de France (bearskins, blue coats and colours make these easy), a bataillon of converged grenadiers. The latter are in tricornes and are distinguished by no standard and a mix of facing colours. Depending on the game they may get labelled.  I do not distinguish grenadiers within a line battalion as we would only be talking about 2 figures or so, one at either end of the line (in theory the grenadier company in French service was supposed to be split in two - not sure without recourse to sources whether this was true throughout mid 18th century).

Regards

Edward

Leon

First off welcome to the Forum!  Extra officers, musicians, limbers, etc are not a problem, just pop us an email with a list of what you need and we'll get those sorted out.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

Most French grenadiers in the line battalions did indeed wear the tricorne so are difficult to distinguish from the other companies. The Grenadiers de France do however make a splendid unit in bearskins,
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

Quote from: elainepat on 10 March 2017, 05:44:48 AM
My question is short of labeling the base, how do you distinguish grenadiers from regular musketeers on the tabletop?

One option, if you want discrete labels, is to use a colour on the edge of the base
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bunny

Not necessarily for the French, as I do not recall them forming combined grenadier battalions in this period but for my Austrian, British, Hanoverian and Reichsarmee I use 4 bases instead of 5 (I base my infantry 4 to a 20mmx20mm base).

Combined grenadiers are usually from two line regiments, so each contingent have an officer and drummer but nt standard bearers.

There might be a picture of a unit on my blog

www.warrenswargamerantings.blogspot.com

Bunny

cameronian

There might be a picture of a unit on my blog

There certainly is and jolly nice they are too.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!