More WWII vehicles - ISUs, Sturmtiger and French W15!

Started by Leon, 09 March 2017, 10:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kustenjaeger

Not quite sure what Ian's 200 WW2 vs 1000 modern reference is meant to mean?  It is clear that there will be more vehicle types in volume service in the period post 1945 to date compared to 1939-45. 

I did a ready reckoner from my notes on AFVs in British service and got to about 138 types (I am sure with omissions but hopefully not double counting) where a 'type' is something with reasonably different external features.  Some of these clearly would not be worth making from a modelling perspective as their use was minor, peripheral or the physical differences too minor (which is I think part of Ian's other point).

Edward

Matt J

I'm working on an Ardennes 1944 project so a couple of Sturmtigers will be welcome additions :)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Dave

Quote from: kustenjaeger on 10 March 2017, 10:29:03 AM
Leon

Very nice.  While we are at WW2 vehicles, whatever happened to the Italian M11/39?  I thought it had been done but can't find it in the catalogue.

Regards

Edward

I wondered why we were only selling at shows!!!!!!!!! >:(

Dave

fsn

Also not a Tiger fan, but I think it's a worthwhile addition to the range.

Once could argue the actual numbers of dragons used in warfare - ever to be ... slighly less than the square root of Techno's dress sense. To my knowledge, we've never actually faced the zombie apocalypse, and yet Pendraken insist on producing hordes of the undead.

Gentlemen, we must admit to ourselves that our hobby is. for the most part, devoid of gritty realism. Your English archers should be bent double with dysentry, your Napoleonic British infantry should have pink crossbelts because the dye ran in their pretty red coats because of the rain, and to demonstrate your average German soldier in WWII he's on his feet, with a rifle, avoiding the piles the horse artillery left behind.

We deal in fantasy. We shape it as we wish and call it reality ... but in the end it's pieces of metal being shoved over a cluttered table.

So there were only 6 or 7 Sturm Tigers? I have no love for the beast, but I can see a scenario for the Yanks to try and capture one of the beasties which has stalled. Could be fun. I'm also not going to buy any of the Russian monsters (I'm quite satisfied with my T35's). Doesn't matter. Somebody wants them.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

... and another thing. How many of those 1000 modern vehicles have actually fired shots in anger?

I seem to think that the Chieftain didn't get a run out. 

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

kustenjaeger

Quote from: fsn on 10 March 2017, 05:44:46 PM
... and another thing. How many of those 1000 modern vehicles have actually fired shots in anger?

I seem to think that the Chieftain didn't get a run out. 

As far as the Chieftain is concerned not in British service but did see action in the Iran-Iraq war and Invasion of Kuwait.

Edward

fsn

Yes, well aside from Iran-Iraq War, the Invasion of Kuwait and indoor plumbing, when did the Chieftain ever get a run out?

I think my point stands though.

kustenjaeger

FSN is broadly right, though it's quite interesting how many bits of kit have actually been used either as exports or in peacekeeping roles.

Regards

Edward