Any experts on the British Indian Army?

Started by lowlylowlycook, 09 March 2017, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

At some point I'd like to do some miniatures for Napier's expedition in Ethiopia in 1868. The forces were mostly from the Bombay Army.  However the very kaleidoscope of Indian and British units that make the concept so exciting (they even brought Elephants) is definitely overwhelming for someone pretty new to historical gaming.

At home I have a Osprey book that has I think one plate of soldiers from the Abyssinian Campaign.  Also a long list in the back as to uniform colors.

Does anyone know of another good resource to get me started on which uniforms the various units wore in the post Mutiny period??

Glorfindel

I would recommend 'The Indian Army' by Boris Mollo :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Indian-Army-Boris-Mollo/dp/185079085X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1489092697&sr=1-1&keywords=indian+army+mollo

Packed with stacks of information covering the full Indian Army history
and very cheap - £5 !!   

If you are interested, I have also put together a speadsheet which includes
the full lineage of all Indian Regiments.   Just let me know if you want a copy.

Phil

lowlylowlycook

Ordered and thank you.

To keep the danger of brain explosions to a minimum I'll hold off from peaking at the spread sheet for now.

lowlylowlycook

As far as miniatures go, I think some companies have 2nd Afghan War lines.  Are those likely to be the best source?

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

lowlylowlycook

Thanks, SV52. 

Looking a bit more into it, it seems that that Indian Mutiny figures are closer, at least for the British regiments (in airpipe helmets).  Luckily the Snider rifles are just Enfields modified for breach loading. 

FierceKitty

Contact Major Bloodnok. When you ring the doorbell, say slowly and clearly "I'm not her husband" and "This isn't about the regimental silver", speaking into the security intercom, and he will doubtless be glad to answer your questions for a very reasonable price.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.