ECW Destroyed Units

Started by mollinary, 06 March 2017, 03:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFlynSqrl

mollinary

Thanks again for the comments, guys, much appreciated.  Foot units up to 15, so today's target met. Tomorrow is another day!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Don't recall seeing these earlier. Bravo!  =D>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

grahambeyrout

They look good, and certainly show what where the action has been. My only reservation, and people are going to hate me for this, is that would the unit flags be left on the ground by the survivors? 

mollinary

Curiously, I think far more flags were probably picked up as a Regiment disintegrated than were captured in manly hand to hand combat. That seems certainly to have been the case at Gettysburg 200 years later, and I see no reason why it should not have been the case in the ECW. And it looks cool!  ;)  ;)

Mollinary

paulr

Seconded, if I was running away withdrawing rapidly I don't think I would stop to pick up a big heavy flag that had been dropped ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

grahambeyrout

I do not do ECW so may be wrong about the lengths individuals would go to to save their flags in this period, but I do do Naps and ACW. In these periods, there are many accounts of individuals going to extraordinary lengths at great risk to themselves, to stop the enemy gaining the flags as trophies. Indeed we see numerous paintings of the time showing the colours of a beaten enemy being exhibited as a form of triumphalism, and individuals who either saved or captured colours were lauded and rewarded. No-one likes being shamed. Often we read that if the unit was in danger, and the situation desperate,  flags would be sent to the rear
The destroyed units stands are splendid, look splendid and the fallen colours on them have the advantage of showing what units are involved thereby making convenient tokens, but I remain unconvinced that they echo reality. Remember very few units are totally destroyed, and the stands show where significant  causalities were suffered. The flags would normally move with the survivors.
Having said that, we are  after all only playing a game, so what does it matter 

Leman

Funnily enough I remain unconvinced that lead echoes flesh, but in a game I do like clear markers so that I know what is going on. In the real world I would have little idea beyond the next hedge or crest.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

One thing to consider is in the ECW period there were more flags per unit than two hundred years later, usually on the order of one per company. Even with the flags collected to the center and protected by the pikes, which was the usual practice, a much greater possibility of one or two being left behind would seem to exist.

I'd be in favor of shredding them up a bit (but not so much that you can't tell who's who).  :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

cameronian

The eagle of the 62nd, taken by the British 44th at Salamanca, disappeared the night before a celebratory dinner - I think - in Apsley house. I like to think a band of ancient french veterans of the 62nd snuck in and pinched it back, interring it with the biody of their beloved colonel etc etc (yes i think there's a novel in there too).
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

d_Guy

:) rather like the stone of scone

IIRC at the 200th of the Battle of Yorktown we gave back some or all of the captured colors.
(Except the one the officer wore around his waist under his clothes while he wa a prisoner for a considerable period on time.)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Bunny

Great idea!  Really like it and the 'rough ground' option could be added to any rule system.

What sizes bases are you using and where did you get the rough, rounded edge bases?  I really like the irregular look for casualties.

Great work!

I also like the TTS rules.

Leman

Supreme Littleness do some very nice rough edged bases in various shapes and sizes.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Quote from: Bunny on 03 July 2017, 08:41:08 AM
Great idea!  Really like it and the 'rough ground' option could be added to any rule system.

What sizes bases are you using and where did you get the rough, rounded edge bases?  I really like the irregular look for casualties.

Great work!

I also like the TTS rules.

Hi Bunny,

Glad you like the idea, and TtS. The bases are actually from Simon Miller's BigRed Bat Shop, and come in packs of 6 for just under £2.50. These are ones for skirmish units, using. 10cm grid, so they are roughly 90-95mm wide and 30-35mm deep.  Hope that helps,

Mollinary