ECW Destroyed Units

Started by mollinary, 06 March 2017, 03:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

06 March 2017, 03:22:09 PM Last Edit: 06 March 2017, 03:29:53 PM by Leon
As Simon Miller and I draw closer to completing our adaptation of his To the Strongest ancient rules to the ECW I have worked up an Edgehill scenario to go the rounds.  It got a first outing at the TtS championships in Chalgrove just over a week ago (photos on Simon's blog: www.bigredbat.blogspot.co.uk ). 

I have also been having ideas on how to enhance the visual aspect, and am now working on 'destroyed unit' markers, to occupy space where units cease to be, and generally clutter the battlefield realistically.  Below are the some photos of where I have got to, using Pendraken's casualty figures and Pete Berry's Baccus basing system. Hope you like them.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Roy

Cool. I like the fallen pikes. I'd probably not have thought to have included them if I'd had done similar  :-bd
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

mollinary

Thanks Roy,

Yes, like you I would not have thought of the pikes until Simon mentioned it, and then it was obvious! The flag was a late addition, as I saw one on my painting board - I am quite pleased with the effect.  :D  :)

Mollinary

Leman

Some very nice ideas there.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Hi Mollinary,
I had seen the pictures over at TMP and enjoyed looking through the pics on bigredbat.  Congratulations! The figures and the assembled units are quit impressive. The idea of destroyed unit markers is good and they look just excellent. I will - of course - steal the idea (but I doubt my execution will be nearly as good).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Subedai

Hmmm, that idea has potential.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

These look good - I too like the idea of putting the pikes on the stand.

Do these have any in game effect?

I've thought a few times about leaving casualty markers on the table, so show the trail of the battle, and to act as rough ground for later fighting.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mollinary

Hi Fred,

You have got it in one. The intention is to turn the wreck into rough terrain for the remainder of  the battle.

Molinary

Shutuphippie

Very tasty - what a cool idea
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Techno

fred.

Quote from: mollinary on 06 March 2017, 07:01:17 PM
Hi Fred,

You have got it in one. The intention is to turn the wreck into rough terrain for the remainder of  the battle.

Molinary

Very interesting - a good realistic idea, but not something often seen in rules.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Bice looking, good game idea, spot on :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting