Dremmel - glad I listened to Techno

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 March 2017, 05:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I must admit, Steve.....that's one bit of kit that I keep thinking about purchasing.

Keeping my options open.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

For us ( the missus uses it more than me) I does make it safer to use
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

It does give you more control.

Techno: Shall I post you down my one so you can try it out?

Or will that start a new thread?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

I think there only about £20. Dave and Leon should buy you be so you don't have as many oh my god there's blood everywhere quick call an ambulance sick days
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 28 September 2017, 10:30:02 AM
Techno: Shall I post you down my one so you can try it out?

No, Matey...Very, very kind of you to offer, though :)

I can manage fine with the fat bar steward at the mo'.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Well the offer's there.

It may change the way you Dremel forever.   :)

Or it may just add strangulation as a potential hazard.   :(

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 28 September 2017, 10:54:17 AM
I can manage fine with the fat bar steward at the mo'.

The thing about "that's what she said" jokes is that they're a bit addictive. Once you spot one, then they seem to be all around you (TWSS).

pierre the shy

I picked up a pseudo dremmel kit including a flexishaft and lots of other attachments in the local mega hardware shop on the weekend for a very reasonable price as l need it for a range of things....including cutting out some 3mm mdf buildings and drilling holes for masts in Askus 1/3000 printed ships.

I asked the guy in store about cutting blades and he showed me a mini circular saw blade "you can do some damage with that"  he said half jokingly  ;)

Dont worry Techno l have ear defenders mask and leather gloves and will cut the mdf outside....not taking chances  :-SS
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: pierre the shy on 21 August 2018, 11:26:13 PM
I asked the guy in store about cutting blades and he showed me a mini circular saw blade "you can do some damage with that"  he said half jokingly  ;)

Like I said on page one of this thread.....I just won't use that ! X_X

Had one of those (thankfully) rare moments yesterday...where the drill bit snapped off inside a model.
Had to get the little sod out, which meant routing out a fair bit of the model...So now I'll have repair that part of the figure.
Pants ! >:(

Cheers - Phil

pierre the shy

Been using my (fairly) new toy to drill 1mm mast holes in some 1/3000 ships.....much more accurate than using a hand turned one and works a treat...only on speed 1 and being very careful. 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fsn

Quote from: pierre the shy on 21 November 2018, 08:29:15 AM
Been using my (fairly) new toy to drill 1mm mast holes in some 1/3000 ships.....

:o You're a braver man that I!

Techno

Quote from: pierre the shy on 21 November 2018, 08:29:15 AM
Been using my (fairly) new toy to drill 1mm mast holes in some 1/3000 ships.....much more accurate than using a hand turned one and works a treat...only on speed 1 and being very careful. 

That's interesting, Peter.

(I tend to use 0.5....0.7mm drill bits when working on the wee stuff.....and If I'm working on bigger models, I might go up to 1mm....and on very rare occasions I'll use a 2mm bit.)

What I've found is that with the really small drill bits is that I have to keep adjusting the Dremmel, (before I start drilling) otherwise I can see a lot of 'wobble'/ vibration at the very end of the bit.
If I didn't have to use the Dremmel to bore into the white metal...which seems to get harder and harder, I'd use a pin vise, because I feel I've got a lot more control with that.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers - Phil

Zippee

Quote from: Techno on 21 November 2018, 01:24:30 PM
That's interesting, Peter.

(I tend to use 0.5....0.7mm drill bits when working on the wee stuff.....and If I'm working on bigger models, I might go up to 1mm....and on very rare occasions I'll use a 2mm bit.)

What I've found is that with the really small drill bits is that I have to keep adjusting the Dremmel, (before I start drilling) otherwise I can see a lot of 'wobble'/ vibration at the very end of the bit.
If I didn't have to use the Dremmel to bore into the white metal...which seems to get harder and harder, I'd use a pin vise, because I feel I've got a lot more control with that.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers - Phil

it's often worth while making a guide-hole with a pin vice before starting up the dremmel - or use the dremmel with 0 power to get a lodgement

Techno

What I tend to do, Zippee, is make a wee hole, using the tiniest burr I've got (which must be well under !mm)...as a guide....Very much like you advise.

I still find the really small drill bits 'wobble' at their very tip, until I've adjusted the 'chuck grip' on the Dremmel a few times.....THEN it looks 'right'.

But you're definitely on the right lines, there. :)

Good advice !!

Cheers - Phil