A silly unit

Started by FierceKitty, 04 March 2017, 03:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

I've just painted up a unit of Austrian grenadier dragoons. Since the troops are the converged grenadier components of four dragoon regiments, and there is no single dragoon uniform, there is a squadron in white, one in red, one in blue, and one in green. And no colours, of course.

These were elite troops?! Well, we shall find out tomorrow afternoon. Here's hoping they can pull a few rabbits out of a three-cornered hat.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

As the enemy may take them to be a traveling minstrel show, suprise may be on their side. Hope you will not take me to be to impertinent by suggesting they add a jingling johnny.
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

Hmmm...If we asked Techno to make us a model of his jingling Johnny, we might be politely invited to leave the forum and stay away.

JeffNNN

I know what you mean. I've got 7YW Brits (sorry Leon but they are 15mm, which I started years ago) and recently decided to add some Legion Brittanique. Each battalion had a dragoon squadron, uniformed as the infantry, which means 4 different coat colours and the two with the same coat have different facings. These Dragoons were later combined into a single unit but, according to Kronosaf, kept original uniform colours so they too will look as if I was just using up odd figures from different units.

Realised as I type that I should also paint up a dismounted version but...

Will see how they get on when they hit the table but as I'm likely to rate them as "inferior" under the Honours of War rules I hold out no great hopes.

FierceKitty

By the SYW it's quite OK to treat dragoons as economy class cavalry.

sunjester

FierceKitty

They shall be provided.

holdfast

Uniform sounds more like a British Unit than an Austrian one.

FierceKitty

Why? Austrian dragoons used a wide range of coat colours.

holdfast

But only the Brits would use all of them at once.

FierceKitty

05 March 2017, 02:32:39 PM #10 Last Edit: 05 March 2017, 02:34:21 PM by FierceKitty
The grenadier companies were withdrawn from the parent units to make ad hoc troops of cavalry in battle. Eager though I am to join in mocking the Limeys, this was standard practice for Austrians.

Not that it helped them this afternoon. Oh, I like having Prussian 12 pdrs....

mollinary

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think Holdfast is commenting on historical SYW usage, but taking a wry look at the way current British Army units have so many variations in uniform, even within the same regiment, where companies have traditions coming from a number of different regiments, now defunct.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

holdfast

Quite so. Mollinary has it as ever. Only in the British Army could the Commandant of its Staff College appear dressed like the drum major of his regimental band.

holdfast

Or we could start a new thread 'Bloody and Irony'

mollinary

Quote from: holdfast on 05 March 2017, 04:29:52 PM
Or we could start a new thread 'Bloody and Irony'

Nice one!   =O =O =O =O =O :-bd
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!