What is the difference between BKC I and II and III?

Started by BanzaiBeagle, 02 March 2017, 09:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiBeagle

I've picked up a copy of the original 2005 BKC rules and wonder if BKC II changed the game mechanics any or was II just a reformatting?

Same query for II going to III...

Ithoriel

02 March 2017, 09:49:31 PM #1 Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 09:51:02 PM by Ithoriel
There's a review of BKCII here http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Reviews/BKC-II/1.aspx

It's overview of the changes (which I agree with) are as follows:

"The core of the rules still consists of the command system. Units can act in one of two ways. At the start of a turn they can act on initiative if there are enemy units within their initiative range. During the remainder of a turn commanders can give orders to let units act. Each commander has a command value of 7 to 10. The player selects which units he will issue an order to and throws 2d6. If the score is equal to or less then the command value the selected units will act. If the score is higher then the commander may issue no more orders this turn. As long as the order is successful a commander may keep issuing new orders, but each next order means an additional -1 to the score, the risk will become greater and greater.

BKC2 sees a number of notable chances in the rules. Most important is the fact that a unit's attack value has been divided in two different values, namely antitank and antipersonel. This is a very good change, because it provides another possibility to make units as historically correct as possible. Other additions are for instance spotter aircraft and the division of units into their respected branches of the armed services instead of unit type. Tanks and infantry are clearly different branches and this will result in negative modifiers when communicating and giving orders. And there are more changes like these. For those of you who own the first edition it's of course relevant to know if you 'need' to buy this new book. No, you don't 'need' to, the basics are all the same. But in my opinion you'll sell yourself short if you don't, there are certainly changes and some are quite fundamental. It's not possible to use an army from the first edition against an army from the second edition, because of the changes. And let's face it, the new rules provide for an even better game!"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

This is the list of changes that Pete listed in the back of BKCII:

Changes & Additions

The following is a useful summary of changes and additions to the game when compared to the previous edition of
Blitzkrieg Commander (BKC).

Additions
Visibility (p6), Air Superiority (p8), Terrain (p19), Spotter Aircraft (p27), Counter Battery Fire (p27) and Tactical
Doctrine (p43).

Initiative Phase
Troops may now carry out any action during the initiative phase. Counter-initiative has been replaced with counterfire.
Initiative distance is based on tactical doctrine. Troops use their move distance when assaulting the enemy.

Command Phase
Command units that are knocked-out can be replaced. Command units can be moved out of the way. Command
blunders have been changed. The CO can attempt to issue orders to units that failed to receive orders by an HQ.
Units must now be organised into formations and must remain under the same command unit for the duration of the
game.

Firing
Refined the rules for troops firing over other units. Opportunity fire is now a core rule. Troops using opportunity fire
may not use their initiative next turn and are subject to a -1 command penalty. Man-handled mortars must now carry
out a deploy action between moving and firing, and firing then moving. Removed suppressive fire. Mortars and infantry
guns may not use the LOS of a command unit. Clarified the cover definitions. Flamethrowers are now in this section.

Artillery Support
Artillery deviation is based on the distance between the FAO and the target. Added spotter aircraft. Modified the
artillery support blunder. Artillery bonus changed to ignore the deviation roll, rather than halve the deviation distance.
Artillery and mortars using indirect fire now cause hits against fully-armoured vehicles. Requests can now be made
against a scheduled target (called a registered target). Added Artillery Support Units as on-table equivalents of offtable
artillery units.

Air Support
Aircraft deviation is based on the distance between the FAC and the target. Modified the air support blunder. Air
support bonus changed to ignore the deviation roll, rather than halve the deviation distance. Requests can now be
made against a scheduled target (called a registered target).

Combat Phase
The combat phase has been replaced with Close Assault.

Engineering
Troops must use opportunity fire against enemy engineers, rather than use counter-initiative.

Deciding the Winner
Changed the way victory points are calculated.

Field Defences
Troops in defence are no longer automatically dug-in at the start of the game. Added Weapons Pits, AFV Pits and
Command Posts. Removed medium and heavy bunkers. Added save values to some defences.

Built-Up Areas
Added save values to some types of building.

Objectives
One command unit and three infantry units are all that are required to occupy a terrain objective.

Unit Stats
Unit type has been replaced with Arm of Service. Split the attacks into AT and AP in order to remove the * and #
symbols, and allow for a more accurate simulation of the differences between anti-tank and anti-personnel fire.
Removed the rule for howitzers. Added a Close Assault stat. Infantry AT weapons are upgrades. Added movement rates
of 15cm and 25cm. Removed the min limit. Completely revised all the army lists and added lots of new units.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

Too slow at typing - but I've written this already.

There were a fair few rule changes between I and II - so while they have lots in common there are certainly differences.

Key ones I remember.
BKC II introduced different factors for AT and anti-infantry shooting.
Initiative actions were streamlined and wrapped into orders for the next turn.
Artillery deviation changed to be dependant on range from the FOO
Close Assault was streamlined

Generally i found the  BKC II changes to be improvements

As to what BKCIII is bringing, I dont think Leon has said yet!!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

BanzaiBeagle