Painted pikes

Started by Sandinista, 02 March 2017, 07:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandinista

Would pikes in late 15th/early 16th century be natural wood or painted bright colours?

Cheers
Ian

d_Guy

Ian, the only thing I'm sure of is I don't know  :)
It seems like the few contemporary paintings that show them suggest natural wood. Logic would suggest that maybe they were oiled.

I'm currently away from my source books but I'd be inclined to do whatever the Funckens have done in their "Age of Chivalry" illustrations.
Hope you get a definitive answer on this, I would be interested too.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

Somewhere, I once saw an illustration of Landsknecht pikes with a foxtail tied just below the head. Sorry I have no idea where!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Hi Sandinista,
Back among my books and did look at Fucken "Age of Chivalry", specifically vol 2, the illustration of individual 16th C. pikemen (maybe you've already seen this?). They show the Swiss pikeman(1530) with a pike shaft a bright red. Also the German Pikeman with the same bright red pike. In volumn three in the tactical section the show all the Swiss pikes bright red (as well as their opponent).

Was all of this done just to enhance the illustrations? I don't know (but they generally illustrate all pikes and polearms with natural wood colors). I saw your thread at TMP and that you had decided to go with the unpainted look. Still you could use Funcken as the authority (I think they are as good as any) for at least red!

Hope this gives you more food for thought.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Sandinista

I will be using 15mm miniatures in 48 figure blocks per unit with 6 standards per unit,. The flag staffs will be painted as will the halberds, this will add a smattering of colour, especially amongst the armoured troops, as we all know the Swiss of the period were so drab  :D

Cheers
Ian

Sandinista

Quote from: FierceKitty on 03 March 2017, 05:20:44 AM
Somewhere, I once saw an illustration of Landsknecht pikes with a foxtail tied just below the head. Sorry I have no idea where!

Back in the '80s in the ECWS, we got into trouble for sticking the head of a suckling pig onto one of the pikes, no sense of fun some people  :)

Cheers
Ian

toxicpixie

48 figure blocks in 15mm? Crikey!

I hope you've reinforced the table :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting