Loose weapons and shields

Started by notmatthew, 28 February 2017, 03:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notmatthew

Hello,

Does anyone know of a way to get loose shields and/or weapons for 10mm ancients?  I have tried to search online about this but have not find appropriate results.  I want these for a few reasons:
1. there are models that should have a shield that don't....simple conversion!
2. there are missing models in some ranges that only differ from published models by inclusion of a shield
3. shields on bases would make great wound markers or objective markers

In particular I'd be looking for Scutum and Hoplon  (excuse the pluralization of the words...I don't write in Greek or Latin).   Failing these two any flat circle (like a Viking shield) or flat oval (like late Roman) would suffice in a pinch.  Gallic shields would be fun too.

Matt

d_Guy

Hi Matt - and a second welcome.
This is a really good question and there a few folks here that are master scroungers and they may be of help.

I have looked and looked for such items without much success.

I usually end up "borrowing" from another figure and then figuring out some means of attachment.

As you said flat shield are fairly easy. I need bunches to act as targets for Highlanders and use a leather punch to make them out of cardstock. Look pretty decent in 10mm. I also made several different types out of layers of cardstock for the Trojan War stuff I'm doing.

Here's hoping more useful responses will come along for you (and me too!)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leon

It's something we'd like to start offering one day, but it's a long-term plan unfortunately.  I'm not sure if any of the other companies have anything in their ranges.

For round shields though, a belt-hole punch or a regular paper hole punch is handy for getting quick circles of thick card which you can use for base debris, etc.  It's not as contoured or detailed as a metal casting, but does a job.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

capthugeca

How about making your own shields, using a bit of Oyumaru to create the mould and then your favourite epoxy clay?
It shouldn't be too difficult to make scutum and hoplon.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.