Hi from Australia

Started by davemc1815, 26 February 2017, 09:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davemc1815

Hello All

I thought that I'd say hi after lurking around the forum for a while.

I purchased second hand a large bag of 10mm Napoleonic figures from various manifacturers a couple of years ago but only got around to painting them late last year and I have well and truely caught the bug! Really enjoying working with the Pendraken gear, very different to the larger 15 and 28mm figures I've painted before but the style of Pendraken sculpts are very forgiving of my meagre painting skills and I'm slowly improving on my results.

One question regarding the forum, is it ok to discuss other 10mm ranges? Our group has caught the Cold War bug via Team Yankee and while I'd like to use as many Pendraken products as possible a lot of stuff is going to need to come from elsewhere.

Cheers

Dave

fsn

What ho Mr Quarterpastsix. Napoleonic? Good man! There's a non Pendraken area for you heretical musings.

Welcome to the forum!.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum!

As a lurker you will already be aware of the idiosyncracies of the forum and it's stranger denizens (I include myself in that category)!

Talking about other manufacturers stuff is OK within reason.

"This is a picture of my figures, <items one to five> are Pendraken and the rest are from <company A> or <company B>" type comments and images aren't going to be a problem.

If the image is entirely other companies stuff there's a forum section for that.

Posting "Company A have launched a new range and here's a direct link to their website, go buy some" with no tie in to Pendraken at all is likely to result in strong words or worse, at a guess.

By and large life is pretty relaxed here, enjoy!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Welcome :-h

Quote from: Ithoriel on 26 February 2017, 10:31:15 PM
Posting "Company A have launched a new range and here's a direct link to their website, go buy some" with no tie in to Pendraken at all is likely to result in strong words or worse, at a guess.

By and large life is pretty relaxed here, enjoy!

More likely a polite request to desist given the manners of the Dark Lord and the other moderators ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello and welcome.

Yes, we will tutt mightily, from a safe distance, to pure non-Pendraken stuff in the wrong board, but otherwise a mix appears fine.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Welcome to the forum.  :-h

p.s. you are from Australia and not Austria? It's just that sometimes the autocorrect/predictive text on this forum ........ and I don't want to be talking about schnitzel and sacher tort when I should be talking about beer and roos ....
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

Hi Dave, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

DFlynSqrl

d_Guy

Welcome to the forum and to the scale of all scales. Let's see, Wellington is on the North Island, Christchurch on the South, so you're from the West Island? Or wait - is is East?  - I get confused about directions in that part of the world.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

Welcome, Dave ! :-h

Cheers - Phil.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Welcome Dave. In the real world there are the wargame manufacturers. Sometimes it's useful to compare different manufacturers on a period specific board. Other times use the non-Pendraken board as I did with my 6mm/3mm BBB stuff and my 28mm Italian Wars.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: mad lemmey on 26 February 2017, 10:52:10 PM
Yes, we will tutt mightily, from a safe distance, to pure non-Pendraken stuff in the wrong board
... but check them out anyway.

There are, even within the inner circle of the Dark Lord (the Primrose Robes as they are known) some who have deviated and strayed.

I myself, fell foul of the lure of the others, and bought T35s from another, but the Dark Lord saw my distress and has now bestowed upon us the best T35 there could ever be in 10mm. I hope one day, to aspire to a Primrose Robe, but for now, I shall jog along in my lesser role ... as a Mired Cassock.  
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

davemc1815

Thanks All for the warm welcome.

I'm careful about which groups and forums I frequent these days having "seen" members of other forums drawn and quartered for daring to mention other figures, rule sets or God forbid express an opinion. The conversations here all seem civil, encouraging and helpful.

Any questions regarding other brand of figures will mostly be "Pendraken don't make these, who is my next best option?".

Will throw up some photos soon of my painting effort so far.

Dave

P.S To Westmarcher, definately Australia; Drouin in Victoria to be exact.