Army List layout?

Started by Leon, 25 February 2017, 01:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you prefer your army lists laid out?

Alphabetical + Left/Right sheet, fill empty space with something else
2 (10%)
Alphabetical as the priority, don't worry about Left/Right as much.
15 (75%)
Left/Right as the priority, don't worry about alphabetical as much.
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: 04 March 2017, 01:35:26 PM

Leon

There's going to be 49 army lists in total in BKC III, which is a few more than BKC II.  So far, I've put them all in alphabetical order and tried to keep them all to a 2-page spread, so left and right sheet per army.  However there's a few armies that either only one page, or spill over into a 3rd page.  This obviously messes with the layout somewhat! 

So do people prefer:

- Keep them alphabetical and left-right sheet where possible please.  Fill any empty space/pages with photos or something.

- Keep them alphabetical but it's OK if an army starts on the right hand sheet and we have to turn the page.

- Keep them left-right sheets where possible, use smaller army lists to fill in any spare pages.  It's OK if those smaller armies are no longer in alphabetical order.

In BKCII, Pete had done a bit of both, so armies weren't all in alphabetical order and several of them started on the right hand page.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Genom

I'm not sure I'd be bothered too much with the alphabetical, it was ages before I realised that's the order they were in. But theater would be another valid sorting option.

ronan

I voted "Keep them alphabetical but it's OK if an army starts on the right hand sheet and we have to turn the page"
But I also agree with Genom : some kind of theater sorting should be useful.

( Yes, I want the best of both worlds  :D )

petercooman

All fine by me, as long as there is a header on each page. As I remember it this was not the case in the bkc II book, wich meant you had to flip constantly if you can't remember wich stat is what

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Got to be organised by theatre/date and alphabetically.

So for instance - France 1940 would be - British, French - may be split into Infantry and Armour - German.
or - North Africa - British 1941, mid 42, and 42-3, Tunisia, German similar, with US as 43.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

I think by theatre can get quite messy, alphabetical would be easier.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Alphabetically then in chronological order for that army.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

If you can keep to left / right double page spreads that certainly makes things easier for reference. But with some single page lists this could get tricky.

One thing that really helps is having the army name at the top of the page, on the outside top edge of the page, then when you are flicking through you can read these easily.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Quote from: fred. on 25 February 2017, 08:29:43 PM
If you can keep to left / right double page spreads that certainly makes things easier for reference. But with some single page lists this could get tricky.

One thing that really helps is having the army name at the top of the page, on the outside top edge of the page, then when you are flicking through you can read these easily.

I'll make sure to do that, no worries.

Kiwidave

Quote from: petercooman on 25 February 2017, 02:35:13 PM
All fine by me, as long as there is a header on each page. As I remember it this was not the case in the bkc II book, wich meant you had to flip constantly if you can't remember wich stat is what

Wot he sed :D

AJ at the Bank

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Itinerant Hobbyist

- Keep them alphabetical and left-right sheet where possible please.  Fill any empty space/pages with photos or something.