A Close Run Thing at Spittelwitz (Seven Years War)

Started by Westmarcher, 22 February 2017, 03:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Played the "Surprise at Spittelwitz" from the scenario in the Honours of War rule book. Its a fictitious action, suggested by the Second Battle of Lutterwitz in the SYW. The main Red infantry force is in a strong ridge top position (the Spittelberg) enhanced by entrenchments with light infantry (also entrenched) protecting the river crossings to its front, and a cavalry reserve to its rear. Blue forces are assaulting across the river with superior numbers and have planned a "surprise" in the form of an outflanking force composed of a small mixed legion of grenadiers, light infantry & cavalry. The defending Red Force was played by the Austrian Army and the attacking Blue Force by the Prussians.

From the word "go" the "surprise" force, the mixed Legion of infantry and Hussars, rapidly advanced across the river to menace the exposed right flank of the Austrians. To further exploit the surprise, a Prussian Dragoon Brigade on the Prussian left, was also ordered to move forward in support and out-flank the Austrian right.

After a fruitless opening bombardment, the main Prussian line began its attack in the centre across the river to take the redoubts occupied by the Croats and expel the Austrian line battalion holding the bridge on the Austrian side of the river at a small town on the Prussian left. These proved to be tougher nuts to crack than expected as battalion after battalion was repulsed by the valiant defenders.

Meanwhile, the Prussian Mixed Legion was making headway and causing a lot of consternation on the Austrian right as it feverishly tried to change facing to meet this threat and, with the main Prussian attack stalling, the bold decision was taken to abandon the entrenchments on the Spittelberg to face the incoming Prussian flank attack which was now being reinforced by the Prussian Dragoons. 

After much hard fighting, the line stabilised and the Austrian dragoons and infantry were able to push the Prussians back (helped incidentally by a Croat battalion which had been forced to retire earlier). Unfortunately, while this was going on, the Prussians had finally taken the town bridge and the redoubts had at last fallen forcing the Croats fall back from the advancing Prussian line.

By now, both sides unit numbers were so severely degraded that only one point was in it. Prussian Army Breakpoint was 8 units and they had lost 7. Austrian Army Breakpoint was 5 and they had lost 4. A more circumspect Prussian commander with his superiority in artillery may have fallen back with the hope of picking off that last Austrian unit but, temptingly, the scenario held out the carrot of winning 1 Army Point which would also bring victory if the Spittelberg was taken by the Prussians. With IR40 having already crested the ramparts and the remainder of the Austrian entrenchments thinly held(?) by an artillery battery and some retiring Croats (believe me, Croats are not that retiring - tough little b*****s!), a last all-out assault was ordered led by IR15, the Prussian Guard!

So, what happened in the last turn? IR40 held its ground within the trench line. IR15 sent the defending Croats packing, routing the all important(?) one unit. Prussian victory? No. Technically, the Prussians lost! Crucially, in the same turn, a supporting Prussian battalion was wiped out by canister fire from the Austrian artillery on both hills! The "Done For" Austrian Croat unit was a small unit, meaning only half an Army Breakpoint was lost. Plus, the Austrian artillery still held its sector within the Spittelberg entrenchments, meaning the objective was still disputed. Whilst victory therefore went to Austria, I leave you to conjecture what might have happened if the game had continued.

Still learning about the Honours of War rules but getting more comfortable with them now and thoroughly enjoying my games. Sorry I'm unable to post images of the game here but, if you are interested, photos can be found in the link below. Members of that forum can click on the thumbnails to enlarge - the rest will either have to screw your eyes up, zoom in or join that forum.  :)

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/362/close-run-thing-spittelwitz
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!