New Website Info - An alternative view

Started by Orcs, 21 February 2017, 10:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

ACW

The Great Civil War
The one everyone talks about and wargames. Masses of blue versus fifty shades of grey, both in French style uniforms.

The Second Civil War
Organized labor vs Organized capitalists. Characterized by dungarees and lunchpails on the one side and silk top hats and spats on the other. Delayed American entry into two European wars.

The Restoration
The Eisenhower Era. Uptight thinking versus - well - uptight thinking.

The Third Civil War
(Yes - we did them in a different order)
Hippies versus Reactionaries. Characterized by flowered, bellbottom trousers vs three piece suits.
Still not clearly resolved (as yet no historic perspective).

The Reaganite Wars
On going.
Sleep with clean hands ...

DanJ

QuoteAt the siege of Jerusalem the Jews and the Muslims stood side by side defending it against the Christians. - rather ironic  giving the current stance in the middle east

Given the Crusaders penchant for slaughtering anyone and everyone in a city once it fell to them I suspect there would have been a fair number of Orthodox Christians helping keep the Crusaders out.

Anyone who has spent more than a few minutes studying the crusading history cannot help but be struck by the irony of the whole concept.  I think the phrase which sums the whole thing up was allegedly spoken by the Papal legate and Cistercian abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the massacre at Béziers, "Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" which is generally translated as "Kill them [all]. For the Lord knows those that are His own".

Having said that, I am fascinated by all the Crusades as they were a complete clash of cultures as well as military traditions and they're very pretty.

Cool Templars in 10mm

Massed Seljuk Cavalry about to be taken in the flank by Crusaders during a refight of the Battle of Doryleum

d_Guy

Crusades not my interest area but fantastic story lines and wonderful
arms, armor, and dress.
I vaguely recall that a Christian army sacked Christian Constantinople on
It's way to the Levant?
Also the problem of "second sons" sticks in my mind. Need to get them out of Europe and gainfully
employed (action, booty, and satiation of lust being keen motivators for "the lads"). It's been awhile
since I've  read in the period - could be wrong.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Ithoriel

Wot? No mention of The Military and Hospitaller Order of St Lazarus of Jerusalem?

Initially (sometime around 1142) an order of hospitaller monks ministering to lepers it became an order of leper knights too. Templar, Hospitaller and secuilar knights who contracted the disease could continue to serve the cause in the ranks of this order. Templar and Hospitaller knights were actually obliged to transfer, secular knights could opt to join.

The order even has a chapel in my home city of Edinburgh. To be fair, not exactly a direct descendant, having been established in the 1960's! I know the man who was priest-in-charge of St Vincent's in St Stephen's Street where the order has it's spiritual home.

Leper Knights! So much cooler than the dull Templars. Nurgle Vult!! :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DFlynSqrl

DanJ

QuoteLeper Knights

Didn't so much throw down the gauntlet as throw down their whole hand :D

Ithoriel

Apparently the notion of bits falling off lepers is a myth but they are susceptible to nerve damage. I can imagine not feeling pain could be an advantage in battle!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DanJ

QuoteApparently the notion of bits falling off lepers is a myth but they are susceptible to nerve damage

I know that, but why let facts spoil such an old and venerable joke.