The Low Countries 1940 - Belgium, Holland and Fallschirmjäger

Started by Gazza, 21 February 2017, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazza

In light of the recent unveiling of the masters for some dinky Belgian WWII armour I thought it might be appropriate for those of us who are interested in the Fall Gelb period to discuss and propose what else we would like to see. Obviously first of all there is Belgian infantry, of which there should be regular (well, most were conscripts and reservists - but I am talking about appearance!) in Adrian helmets (M.1931s) or Chasseur Ardennais in berets. Both would be armed with a mixture of Mauser Model 1889s and 1935s, and FN Mle 1930s (BARs) as SAWs. MGs were either MG 08s (infantry) or Hotchkiss Mle 1914s (cavalry). Other support weapons included the Canon de 76 FRC (infantry gun) and the C.47 F.R.C. Mod.31 (anti-tank gun). There was also the Lance Grenades De 50mm DBT, a light mortar. Each platoon (Belgian platoons were BIG) had a DBT section with nine men manning three DBTs. Vehicles are of course taken care of!

I wonder if there might also be appetite for some Dutch too? Of course the Belgians fought alongside the BEF and French, but the Dutch also fought alongside the French in North Brabant and Zeeland, so these would of course tie-in with Pendraken's existing French range.

And, of course, if we've got Belgians (and maybe Dutch...) then surely it would be rude not to consider early war Fallschirmjäger for Fort Eben-Emael and Fall Festung, the latter being surely one of the most criminally overlooked operations of the whole war.

I suppose I should stop there really! Your opinions are, of course, welcome.
'Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire? The one nearest the door of course.' - GB Shaw

Das Blog: http://we-stand-and-fight.blogspot.co.uk/

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!