Comparison new Dragonmen with historical pendraken

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 20 February 2017, 10:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

I just thought I'd take a few pics so people can get an idea of the size of the new Dragonmen especially i f they have thoughts of mixing them with historicals. They are REALLY big. I've also included some Copplestone to gve another comparison.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Some other pics

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

They are big aren't they! The difference in size of the cavalry is very large.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

To yours truly......

The fantasy 'dollies' (Wot I dun (sic))are a good 2mm taller to the eyes, than my 'historical' dollies. (Which are 10mm to the eyes.....if they're standing bolt upright.)

Will's right...Compared to the historical range the fantasy ranges are big.....But that's to fit in with all of the old/existing fantasy range(s), which dear old young Leon has been through (explained) quite a few times before.

They're not really designed to mix together.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

But 2mm is only 300mm or 1 ft.

People do vary in size that much.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Yes, but do horses? Is that a Shetland Pony and a Clydesdale? The infantry would be acceptable, but the cavalry look wrong...

DFlynSqrl

Quote from: Wulf on 21 February 2017, 01:26:01 PM
Yes, but do horses? Is that a Shetland Pony and a Clydesdale? The infantry would be acceptable, but the cavalry look wrong...

You could treat the larger horses as shock cavalry and the smaller as scouting/skirmishing type cavalry.

Leon

Thanks for the pics, the Fantasy are indeed a lot bigger, especially the horses.  But as Phil says, they've never really been designed to go with the historicals and we wanted to keep to the original Fantasy range proportions with the new Warband stuff.

Quote from: Wulf on 21 February 2017, 01:26:01 PM

Clydesdale next to a regular horse, not quite as much difference as with ours though:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Now put in a Shetland pony (which is about the size that Norman knights rode)!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lowlylowlycook

As always, there is the question of what is realistic and a not very related question of what looks right on the table.  

I'm with DFlynSqrl in thinking that it's appropriate for war horses to be much larger than what most farm horses or horses used by nomads would be.  As long as they are in different units it shouldn't look wrong either.

It's kind of funny that with my orcs, I had the opposite problem where Pendraken's wolves were very small compared to Copplestone's wargs.  Luckily PD's riders fit the wargs so I was able to mix them in a bit.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno

Then there's always 'Big Jake' who stands a smidgeon short of 7 foot tall, at the withers.....which makes the lass standing next to him, not far short of 6 foot herself.....Maybe even taller ? (I reckon)

Now......THAT'S a big horse !  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil (Apologies...I'm sure I've posted this piccy before, on the forum)

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!