Problems posting

Started by sunjester, 18 February 2017, 04:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

When i tried to post earlier today I got the message
"Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."

When I tried again I got
"An Error Has Occurred!
You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."

But there is no sign of my post on the boards. What have I done wrong?  :- :'( >:(

sunjester

But this one has worked?  :'( :'( :'( ~X( ~X( ~X(

fred.

The problem seems to be caused by invalid characters in the subject line. An apostrophe ' is certainly one of those, and there may be others.

This can occur when replying to existing threads, or when starting a new one.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

I spoke to Matt again about this on Friday and we're going to go with a full forum upgrade to the latest version on offer from SMF.  We're not sure exactly when we'll do this but it'll take a day or two to fully implement,  there shouldn't be any downtime during the upgrade and folks shouldn't be affected by it at all hopefully.  The new version will fix the apostrophe and database bugs, and should open up a few new features for me in the admin side.  We'll update everyone as soon as we've set a date for the upgrade.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Nooooooooooo!!!!! Leon with MORE power. And it will take months to settle down.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

The Dark Lord has indeed opened another grimoire.

The will be chaos and anguish and ...

well just read the papers.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Quote from: sunjester on 18 February 2017, 04:13:05 PM
When i tried to post earlier today I got the message
"Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."

When I tried again I got
"An Error Has Occurred!
You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."

But there is no sign of my post on the boards. What have I done wrong?  :- :'( >:(

Has happened a few times to me recently.

Techno

If I understand correctly..........Ahem !

If...... in the Subject line, that appears, above,  at the very top of your 'reply'........There are ANY 'apostrophes' (They're the worst culprit, by far....) you need to go and alter the Subject line. (This is quite OK to do)

For example...If I started a thread or topic and named it.......Phil's pic's of the new Korean War models.

If you tried a 'normal' reply to that....You'd almost certainly get one of the error messages.

BUT....If you went to the Subject line, first and took out the apostrophes.....So that it read......Phils pics of the new Korean War models...(So, no apostrophes)...THEN plonked out your reply....You'd be fine.

Cheers - Phil.

Hope that makes sense, Gang.

Quote from: Techno on 19 February 2017, 01:29:05 PM
If I understand correctly..........Ahem !

If...... in the Subject line, that appears, above,  at the very top of your 'reply'........There are ANY 'apostrophes' (They're the worst culprit, by far....) you need to go and alter the Subject line. (This is quite OK to do)

For example...If I started a thread or topic and named it.......Phil's pic's of the new Korean War models.

If you tried a 'normal' reply to that....You'd almost certainly get one of the error messages.

BUT....If you went to the Subject line, first and took out the apostrophes.....So that it read......Phils pics of the new Korean War models...(So, no apostrophes)...THEN plonked out your reply....You'd be fine.

Cheers - Phil.

Hope that makes sense, Gang.

A good example of early gibberish in Welsh.....

Needs a screen shot in it Phil.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

OldenBUA

19 February 2017, 05:56:23 PM #9 Last Edit: 19 February 2017, 05:58:47 PM by OldenBUA
Quote from: Techno on 19 February 2017, 01:29:05 PM

Except that you can't start any thread if it has an apostrophe in the subject line. Better avoid them, at least until the update is done.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

It's perfectly possible to write good English without using apostrophes.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

Besides ...

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James D. Nicoll
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

bigjackmac

I'm getting "Error Occurred, Hacking Attempt..."

V/R,
Jack

Leon

Quote from: bigjackmac on 16 March 2017, 02:37:08 PM
I'm getting "Error Occurred, Hacking Attempt..."

Which thread is that in?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!