A different way to undercoat...

Started by Glorfindel, 18 February 2017, 09:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albie Bach

Quote from: toxicpixie on 22 February 2017, 11:15:47 AM
If it helps, I use black, white, grey and red oxide primer, as well as various coloured. Sometimes with a wash, sometimes not!

I tried using red oxide primer on some desert terrain once and found it kept leaching through the next layers of paint. It was a pale colour I was trying to cover it with which probably made the effect worse.
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

toxicpixie

I've not found it "leech" through, but it does give a different "tone" especially to light colours (thinking of some GW Chaos Spiky Goons I did last year)...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Albie Bach

Quote from: toxicpixie on 22 February 2017, 12:00:31 PM
I've not found it "leech" through, but it does give a different "tone" especially to light colours (thinking of some GW Chaos Spiky Goons I did last year)...
That's good to hear.
Maybe it was the make of paint I was using at the time. The first coat came out bright pink. It was a long time ago and I use all Vallejo paints now.
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

toxicpixie

I may not have used the same colours so not run into it; the flesh colour I was thinking of had a sort of "ruddy glow" under the paleness :D Looked good for an unhealthy sheen ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

DanJ

I use white primer because I find the black makes subsequent coats very dark, especially the brighter colours like reds and yellows.

10mm figures can be hard enough to see details on without handicapping the viewer by starting with black.

Having said that it's very much horses for courses, find a style you're happy with and refine it over the years decades and enjoy your painting.

Techno

Quote from: DanJ on 22 February 2017, 03:00:46 PM
Having said that it's very much horses for courses, find a style you're happy with and refine it over the years decades and enjoy your painting.

I think that's the way to look at it, Dan......Totally agree with you.

Cheers - Phil

Bunny

I used to use exclusively black u/c but my painting method was drybrushing.  I still do this method sometimes when adding to existing armies.

Now for ease and speed I base coat in the main figure colour.  White for Austrians, red for British, grey for ACW Confederates, you get the idea.  I then block paint and finish off with Army Painter Dark Tone Dip, painted on of course.  I'm very happy with the results.

Wulf

I always used white primer for the brighter colours, but now use a shader as well after seeing the effect on some Pendraken armour pics! Still working on just how heavy a wash for the shader though.