FV4101 Charioteer

Started by Sunray, 15 February 2017, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Yes, basically a Cromwell with a bigger turret and gun. An early Cold War stop gap.

Could also feature in Weird WW2 games and indeed Middle East Arab/Israeli

Any body interested?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Easy one to do, so yes think it should be added. Users included Finns and Jordanians, a few ended up in Lebanon.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

I'd sooner see some real charioteers than a tank that was only in service on a wet Tuesday afternoon in November ... OK slight exaggeration but seriously how many of these are Pendraken going to sell?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

I know they were mostly flogged off, but four hundred vehicles to equip essentially the entire UK armoured reserve for ten years, then remainder in storage for quick use if needed is nothing to be sneered at - if the balloon HAD gone up in the fifties, they'd have been a pretty big part of the UK armed forces tank component! I suspect T-54 would have gone thru them like a hot knife through butter, but hey.

Tricky one - they *could* have been big, but IRL they were background that faded quickly...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sunray

Quote from: Ithoriel on 16 February 2017, 10:59:08 AM
I'd sooner see some real charioteers than a tank that was only in service on a wet Tuesday afternoon in November ... OK slight exaggeration but seriously how many of these are Pendraken going to sell?

Remember the turret is the only bit requirement - and frankly will sell more at lot more than those T34 Egyptian funnies that are out there. Early Cold War "what if" will get a boost with Korea.  Its a lot of fun as you can reuse a lot of WW2 material/figures and the likes of the FV4101 gives you that wild card.  :)

The down side about Korea OOB is that you don't get to field the wide range of kit that was available at the time -  Comet, Charioteer, M41Walker, M47,ISU-152, IS2, IS3, SU-100, T-44 and ....even T54.

This is the golden age of the tank, before nasty things like Saggers and Vigilant  AMTs  missiles began to shift the goal posts-

The Makebelieve killing grounds of World of Tanks reflects this tanker utopia

pierre the shy

Quote from: toxicpixie on 16 February 2017, 04:35:28 PM
I know they were mostly flogged off, but four hundred vehicles to equip essentially the entire UK armoured reserve for ten years, then remainder in storage for quick use if needed is nothing to be sneered at - if the balloon HAD gone up in the fifties, they'd have been a pretty big part of the UK armed forces tank component! I suspect T-54 would have gone thru them like a hot knife through butter, but hey.

Tricky one - they *could* have been big, but IRL they were background that faded quickly...

The Austrian Army had some in the 50's/60's. They used a LOT of ex tank turrets from Charioteers, T34/85's, M 47's and Centurions in fixed defences during the cold war years.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Wulf

Quote from: Sunray on 16 February 2017, 04:47:28 PMThe Makebelieve killing grounds of World of Tanks reflects this tanker utopia
The Charioteer fires high velocity ammo that flies so fast you don't need any lead at all. I prefer it to the Conway.

Sunray

Quote from: Wulf on 20 February 2017, 01:40:20 PM
The Charioteer fires high velocity ammo that flies so fast you don't need any lead at all. I prefer it to the Conway.

Would you purchase the model if Pendraken were to make a Charioteer turret ?

Wulf

Absolutely, but then I buy all my WoT tanks where available (please, please, please someone make a KV-13...)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Didn't know The Valley of the Kings went up to 4101?  :-/ thought they stopped at KV63 and Tutankhamen's was the only one with chariots?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner