Vietnam Aussie types

Started by Sunray, 14 February 2017, 07:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

14 February 2017, 07:32:26 PM Last Edit: 14 February 2017, 07:37:09 PM by Sunray
I am putting together an ad hoc bush war battle group, and an order for Leon

Vietnam Aussie AV4 and AV8 - do they have rucksacks ?

Leon

I don't think so, I'll have to check the moulds to be certain.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

Quote from: Leon on 14 February 2017, 09:39:59 PM
I don't think so, I'll have to check the moulds to be certain.

That's a lot of hassle Leon- lets see if any on the forum have the Aussies in question .

Matt J

Please excuse crummy phone camera shot
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Sunray

15 February 2017, 09:15:02 AM #4 Last Edit: 15 February 2017, 09:20:23 AM by Sunray
Matt

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post this image ! Never mind the phone camera - it has answered my query.

Yes, I can see Vietnam Aussies being reborn as Proxy bush war professionals . Some good sculpts in there - I like the kneeling command type
giving the old 'hurry-scurry' hand signal  :) :)

The serious sculptor research into the figures is betrayed by the two water bottles. They scream out  'made in Canungra'

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Matt J

stashed on the back of the Cents  ;)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Sunray

15 February 2017, 12:23:37 PM #7 Last Edit: 15 February 2017, 02:05:12 PM by Sunray
Quote from: Matt J on 15 February 2017, 10:29:30 AM
stashed on the back of the Cents  ;)
+1

Now I can get that order off to Leon.   :-bd :-bd

Sunray

Quote from: Sunray on 15 February 2017, 12:23:37 PM
+1

Now I can get that order off to Leon.   :-bd :-bd

Sorted, paid and on its way - according to Leon . :)

slinky

Great idea using the aussies, thought about bush wars myself but couldn't find suitable figures as opposition

Sunray

Quote from: slinky on 16 February 2017, 06:49:27 PM
Great idea using the aussies, thought about bush wars myself but couldn't find suitable figures as opposition

The Viet Cong range also offers good proxy figures like the RPG7 gunner.

The proxy potential inherent in both North & South Koreans for bush wars/third world small wars is outstanding.  I have been privileged to see some of Phil's sculpts and there is simply nothing on the market to touch them in terms accuracy, pose, and animation.   I especially love the Command figures..... :-bd

In the meantime....I am knocking an ah hoc  force together. My daughter picked me up a bag of figures a couple of years ago at a car boot sale.  I have identified them as old  Wargames South DAK . (smaller in stature than Pendraken)  They have appeared on my table as (1) Montagnard Strikers, (2) Hitler Youth, and in their final reincarnation ..Steiner's 4th Commando 

Bush wars give you plenty of licence, and lots of wargame fun on a low budget.

slinky

I was aiming more for the bare headed African insurgent type but I'll take a look at the Koreans and see if they'd work

Sunray

VM3 in the Indo China range will fit the bare headed insurgent bill.

Africans in general have a thing about the status conferred by uniform/headgear.  Its a case of the 'the hat makes the man'-  There are also good practical reasons in the bush for protective headgear.

For insurgent irregulars, I use VM3 and a few very useful types from the Si Fi civilian range (some are armed) . The new codes are sculptured by Phil from the same dollies he used for Falklands so are a nice fit.

Once your insurgents start to mould into 'hardened militia' , with some code of uniform, then the hats, caps and even berets appear.  This is often shaped by whatever client state (ie Soviet or Western ) they align with.

I will be putting some images up as soon as the AFVs arrive.

paulr

Apparently the hat-status thing isn't limited to just Africa

A former colleague who had served in a British Tank Regiment in BAOR claimed they had a special hat that the officer of the day always wore when dealing with the local German police. Apparently the bigger the hat the more senior they thought the officer was and the easier they were to deal with.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!