Little Big Men for Pendraken?

Started by notmatthew, 14 February 2017, 03:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notmatthew

Hello!
Has anyone tried the Little Big Men hoplite shields on Pendraken or Newline hoplites?  The transfers look so great, but I am not sure if they will fit.  I reached out to LBM to see if they can make custom sheets (like a whole sheet of the Alexander head would be great!).  Also, has anyone tried to see if the republican roman transfers that LBM has in 10mm designed for Magister figures would fit on Pendraken Polybian Romans?  I really wish I could find good transfers for the Carthaginians/Numidians at this scale.  Thanks!
Matt

d_Guy

Welcome to the forum Matt!
Knowledgeable people will be along shortly. Not my area but some limited work I've done with ancients suggest that the MM are slightly bigger then Pendraken (but not as extreme as 12/10mm difference).   
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Techno

Welcome from me too, Matt.

Cheers - Phil

notmatthew

Oh no!  I ordered half my armies from Pendraken and half from Magister....I was hoping to mix units to add to variety.  Did I misstep?  I also ordered a smaller chunk of Newline but I have read in these forums that the fit between Newline and Pendraken is more seamless.  I guess I'll live and learn.

I have very very old Peninsular French from Pendraken that are waaaay taller than the current Pendraken French.  Is the difference that extreme?

Thanks for the info, with such small figures it's really hard to figure this stuff out by looking at pictures online and I've spent the rest of my gaming life at 28mm or 32mm.

Matt

d_Guy

14 February 2017, 05:33:27 PM #4 Last Edit: 14 February 2017, 05:34:59 PM by d_Guy
I think you are probably OK - I am using a bunch of both for the Trojan War (proxying several things from Pendraken).
Here is a quick and dirty comparison photo (grabbing the first figure bags I came to):

Pendraken ARR (Republican Rome) on left - MM MAM13 (Myrmidons) on Right.
You need to subtract about 4mm (from ruler) to allow for figure base and paint stick.
I drew a line from the Pendraken eyeline to the MM.
Not hugely different IMHO.
I plan to intermix mine but worse case you could add a small shim to Pendraken and once based and flock the difference will be likely unnoticeable.

Hope this makes you more comfortable - sorry if I alarmed you  :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

notmatthew

I actually ordered both of those sets! 

I look at those two and see them as pretty darn similar.  Thanks for the help.

Matt

fred.

My experience is that MM tend to be about the same height as Pendraken, but a bit chunkier. But different ranges from a manufacturer often vary, so there is often no general rule of of thumb. The photo abvoe suggests that for these ranges MM and PD are very similar.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

PB

Hello and welcome

I've mixed Pendraken, MM and Newline in my Zulu War armies and look ok. Sorry no pics

Rougue

I've used both LBM and Veni,Vedi,Veci for my Pendraken and MM with great sucess I think LBM tend to be more colorful but both work great.
                                            Rougue

notmatthew

Thanks!  Would you mind posting some pics?  I also ordered some VVV transfers as well.

DanJ

I've not used the LBM shield transfers on Pendraken figures, but they work well on Old Glory 10mm figures, although being very small they are a pain to use.

Generally I use they for from rank hoplites and hand paint simpler shield designs for second and rear ranks as they can't be seen as well.

I'm away from home for the weekend but will try and post some pictures on Monday.

notmatthew

Hey Dan!
Thanks for the info so far.  I look forward to seeing some pics.  Having the back ranks bearing simple designs is a good idea.
Matt

DanJ

Here are a couple, hope the transfers are visible.

They look good in the flesh, but are fiddly to apply as they have to be cut out, the backing film removed and the transfer rubbed down and the paper form wet and removed.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Yep.....Those look cracking.  8)

Cheers - Phil