What aircraft in 10mm?

Started by Zbigniew, 14 February 2017, 12:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hi petercooman

Nice set up :).

Quote from: petercooman on 14 February 2017, 06:32:41 PM

The typhoon came from pendraken, but i can't find them anymore on the website. Leon, are these not available anymore?

Is it a Typhoon or a Tempest? There is a Tempest available through Pendraken http://www.pendraken.co.uk/ABR3-p4604/

I can never tell the difference easily and tend to mumble 'T.....rhubarb' when talking about them :).

Typhoon

Tempest

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

PS On topic - I always go for 1/144 aircraft

petercooman

14 February 2017, 10:10:35 PM #16 Last Edit: 14 February 2017, 10:16:34 PM by petercooman
It should be the typhoon.

Pendraken used to carry the revell micro wing kits, and those are the ones to be MIA. Probably the stock dried up.

The one i have is this one:

Got a bunch of them mixed with zvezda art of tactics stuff!

petercooman

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 14 February 2017, 10:05:13 PM

I can never tell the difference easily and tend to mumble 'T.....rhubarb' when talking about them :).

Typhoon

Tempest

To easily spot the difference, typhoon has guns that portrude the wings, tempest has guns worked into the wings, you can clearly see the difference on the pics you provided  ;) ;)

Sunray

Quote from: PB on 14 February 2017, 08:28:48 PM
6mm for me. Aircraft are usually a fleeting presence over the table and 6mm requires a lot less storage space. I do use 1/144 scale helicopters because they do tend to hang around and interact with the other models.

I think we have a consensus here. Aircraft are expensive in 1/144 , but are nice bit of eye candy. Nobby has got the fulcrum of the debate.  The interaction with Ground Forces.

If your aircraft are slow, small, fly low level and land on rough fields, then go with 1/144.  Having said that  I am currently concocting a game around a stranded Vulcan (cost me £1.99 !) and its nuclear bomb load. The Vulcan remains on the ground for the game - its scenery. Over Christmas I played a good roleplay game with Flight of the  Foxbat .

In the 1970s a lot of research was done into modern ground attack .  It was found that for accurate close support you wanted sub sonic and payload. The A10 and the Su 25 emerged from these tests.

For those nations on a budget, it meant that a lot of elderly trainers were reborn with hardpoints - The Strikemaster is a good example.   I have to say low level strikes and even flypasts can demoralise a lot of Third World troops until they get hardened to such experiences.

Go with what works for you.

SV52

1/144 from Microwings and Zvezda with some 1/200 Zvezda for the bigger machines. Difficult to leave aircraft out as they played such a prominent role more than any other consideration.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: petercooman on 14 February 2017, 10:10:35 PM
It should be the typhoon.

Pendraken used to carry the revell micro wing kits, and those are the ones to be MIA. Probably the stock dried up.

Ahhhh.... now I see. Sadly the Micro Wings have been discontinued by Revell, after I was hoping that they'd release the Japanese aircraft they had in the old range :(.

Quote from: petercooman on 14 February 2017, 10:13:07 PM
To easily spot the difference, typhoon has guns that portrude the wings, tempest has guns worked into the wings, you can clearly see the difference on the pics you provided  ;) ;)

Ok.... but now I have to remember one more thing, and I dread to think what necessary piece of data will be shunted so that I can accept that titbit of knowledge :).