Blue Peter Tanks!

Started by Heedless Horseman, 13 February 2017, 12:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Out of the murky pond of memory bubbled...an episode of, (I think!), Blue Peter...when they built a horde of WW1 tanks...(advancing across a great scenic terrain!)...from, (possibly), tab packets and matchboxes...and they were WOW!...to a smallish kid! Even tried it myself...though WW2 tanks were easier...just cellotape a matchbox turret on top of the fag packet, stick in a match for a gun and Go!
Any other sad souls remember this? lol.   ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno

Sadly, no.....But I can remember making a trundling 'thingy' out of a cotton reel, a short rubber band and a couple of matchsticks, though !  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Yep, remember the cotton reel tanks, but where the idea came from, God only knows!

fsn

Empty fag packet and a matchbox! Tanks, and my favourite - spaceships. Match missiles flying all over the place.

Wouldn't be allowed now - or you'd be able to buy sanitised versions in Toys R Us.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 13 February 2017, 06:54:45 AM
Sadly, no.....But I can remember making a trundling 'thingy' out of a cotton reel, a short rubber band and a couple of matchsticks, though !  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

and a button.  You then cut notches in the rim of the cotton reel to give it more grip.  This was only achievable whitha wooden cotton reel.  these were getting harder to find when I was doing this , being replaced with plastic.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Fenton

I have memories of Jack Hargreaves or Fred Dineage on HOW making these
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Westmarcher

17 March 2017, 11:58:29 PM #6 Last Edit: 18 March 2017, 12:25:47 AM by Westmarcher
Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 13 February 2017, 12:21:22 AM
Out of the murky pond of memory bubbled...an episode of, (I think!), Blue Peter...when they built a horde of WW1 tanks...(advancing across a great scenic terrain!)...from, (possibly), tab packets and matchboxes...and they were WOW!...to a smallish kid! Even tried it myself...though WW2 tanks were easier...just cellotape a matchbox turret on top of the fag packet, stick in a match for a gun and Go!
Any other sad souls remember this? lol.   ;)

Yep! Definitely Blue Peter.*  :)

* maybe.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Orcs on 17 March 2017, 11:00:41 PM
and a button.  You then cut notches in the rim of the cotton reel to give it more grip.  This was only achievable whitha wooden cotton reel.  these were getting harder to find when I was doing this , being replaced with plastic.

Darning needle, candle, match, plastic cotton reel = notched wheel tank thingy and ear bashing from my Mum :-)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steeleye

Yep, I remember the WW1 tanks. Can't remember how they were made though.

I also remember them explaining the Armoured/Tank corps flag and motto; Through the Mud and the Blood to the Green Fields Beyond.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 13 February 2017, 06:54:45 AM

Cheers - Phil

We used to bang a couple of little nails into the edge of the cylinder; that way, they could climb over obstacles too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.