One Hour Wargames - Commonwealth vs. Irish Coalition

Started by d_Guy, 12 February 2017, 04:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

DFlynSqrl

d_Guy

Thanks gentlemen.

@Norm - in the Pike and Shot rules it is move AND shoot with the interesting twist that a companion die roll of one or two means you are out of ammo but can now melee'. It plays all sorts of havoc with planing. I am going to use the Horse and Musket rules (which are the move OR shoot and NO infantry vs. Infantry melee') with my Napoleonics to see how Scenario 9 will play out. As you may have seen I adopted your Morale and Command/Control rules for both OHW game periods that I do. They add important wargaming concepts WITHOUT compromising the simplicity of Thomas's overall design. Thanks for them.  :)

@Leman - yes they are great for scenario building! I have already created two new scenarios (using OHW terrain and map constructs) to handle a couple of significant skirmishes leading up to the Battle of Benburb. These will use the modified OHW Pike and Shot rules and their outcomes will effect the deployment at Benburb. The main battle will be fought using Baroque.

I have also developed a full Napoleonic Campaign that uses all thirty Scenarios in a programmed way. (Not that I have time to play it!)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Roy

Top stuff.

Just looked at the post you made on Feb 12th about the terrain for the OHW layout. Not read it yet, just looked at the pics, so I'll have to come back to it and read it through. What are the rivers made from? They look like drink coasters, the way the edges are cut, I'll have a read later on and see if you do state anything.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

d_Guy

Roy, thanks for the comment - we seem to be doing parallel sorts of things.
The squares are 4" x  4" x  1/8" plywood squares that I buy in bulk and use for a variety of things.
My goal was to make quick and dirty terrain that could be used to reproduce all the OHW scenario maps on a 3' x 3' battle mat.
The tree and town squares are the same but the rounded corners are not as noticable because top mat is cut square.

pierre the shy

Nice looking game DGuy.

While your talking about terrain do you use 6mm buildings for your village? are they Leven/Timecast ones?

Doing a bit of forward looking for ECW period once my current 1914 and pre-dread naval projects are finished (whenever that might be...done by back in so not very mobile at the moment  :( ).

Cheers
Peter
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

And again, thanks folks  :)

@Pierre
I have about 20 buildings that I use. These are all listed as 10mm* by their sellers/manufactures. As with 10mm figures there is some variance In size but with the buildings it is less noticeable to my eye.  I have all of the Pendraken EE medieval/fantasy buildings, A set of 5 timber and thatch buildings and a stone church from Old Glory, a few stone two story buildings (which may be the ones in the town depicted in this post) from Magister Militium (along with another timber and thatch house and a stone church), a few are indeed Timecast (from Central and Eastern Europe collection). I have now also gotten a few from Battlescale (which I learned about on this forum) but not painted up yet.

Basically if it's got timber and/or thatch and doesn't have clapboard or a frankly modern (post 1800)  look, I use it

Sorry about your back trouble, that can be truly miserable. Hope it remits soon.

*typically a scale ratio is given also. Pendraken lists the EE as 1:150 which seems to be the norm but have also seen some elsewhere  listed as 1:144 and 1:160. As I said I just mix them all together as I feel like.

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}