One Hour Wargames - Commonwealth vs. Irish Coalition

Started by d_Guy, 12 February 2017, 04:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

A 10mm battle between the Commonwealth and Irish Coalition 1649 OHW Pike and Shot (modified)

I am continuing to test One Hour Wargames to do quick and dirty, but quite fun games.
This is a hypothetical battle in the historic setting of 1649 Ireland. A coalition of Anglo/Irish Royalists and the Irish Confederation is moving on Dublin to seize it before it can be reinforced by the English Commonwealth.

Scenario 26 provides for a Commonwealth blocking force (which is smaller and constrained my surprise and lethargy) attempting to first hold a river crossing then a hilltop that controls the road to Dublin. The Coalition must force the crossing then secure the hill by the end of turn fifteen.

The Coalition (foreground) brings up a full brigade of foot to drive the defending unit away from the bridgehead by the sheer volume of their musketry:

The Coalition force easily sweeps the first line of defenders aside and then hotly engages the remainder of the Commonwealth force. Coalition dragoons have also infiltrated through the woods and are attacking the hill from the flank. More and more of the Coalition reserve rapidly crosses the bridge (the regimental flags on the bridge mark the actual location of the units appearing to be fording the river):

A lone unit of Commonwealth dragoons makes a spirited, but useless, last stand on the hill top:

The game played out in ten turns, taking about an hour and a quarter (and that was with some rule extensions being used). While not a set of rules for those interesting in simulating the details of a specific period, they deliver very entertaining games that reward good tactical sense.

The full report with more pictures and notes on the rules can be found here:
https://leadenshipsandtinmen.com/2017/02/11/ohw-scenario-twenty-six-1649/
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

petercooman

Looks nice!

Recently obtained my own copy of one hour wargames, but haven't had time to read it yet!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Norm

Nice write-up, I also enjoyed a wander around your blog.

SV52

Good one.  OHW is fast becoming a favourite for me for the historical stuff.  Just need to paint less and play more!
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

lowlylowlycook

DFlynSqrl

d_Guy

Thanks, Gentlemen!

@Norm - thanks for taking a look round and your other positive comments here and  elsewhere.

d_Guy

I decided to try one more One Hour Wargame scenario using the modified Pike and Shot rules. The Scenario is number 9 (double delaying action) which Neal Thomas says he based on the Battle of Wavre (1815). The set of scenarios (30) provided in the OHW book are alone worth the price of the book. They have provided some entertaining games.

This is a continuation of the semi-historical Irish Coalition's drive toward Dublin in 1649 , then held by English Commonwealth forces. Note that I am using the Commonwealth naval ensign because of its simple design and easy recognition.

The full Battle Report can be found here:
https://leadenshipsandtinmen.com/2017/03/02/ohw-scenario-nine-1649/

Here are a few pics from the battle:

A Commonwealth brigade of foot supports the garrison of Rathfarnham as the Irish Coalition begin their assault across the River Dodder:

Heavy fighting spills across the market square of Rathfarnham:

The "Red Shanks" from the Western Isles slam into the Commonwealth dragoons covering the Dodder Ford from the nearby woods. Irish foot cross behind the highlanders.

The end game - the final Commonwealth line attempts to curb the Coalition onslaught.

This was a great solo scenario because the multiple parallel yet conflicting goals of the two sides forced a new set of threats and opportunities in each half turn. It was easy to switch between sides and work the problem that was immediately presenting itself.

In the end it was a tactical victory for the Irish Coalition, but like the French victory at Wavre, ultimately a strategic disaster.

Norm

Very nice. what an excellent scenario and one that has not previously caught my eye,

I have just looked it up and that withdrawal schedule and the victory conditions overall dovetail really well with the fire OR move nature of this system.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Looking really good. OHW does provide some Fast and Furious games. One of my wargaming mates uses it to set up scenarios for other games.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!