New WWII Belgian vehicles!

Started by Leon, 12 February 2017, 12:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Dave's been wanting to do a few Belgians for a while, so we've had a few vehicles done to scratch his itch!  There's a couple more to come and then we'll have a look at doing some infantry and stuff to go with them towards the end of this year / early 2018 possibly.

First up we've got the T-13 tank destroyer.  This early B1/B2 version was built by Vickers and equipped with a hefty 47mm AT gun, mounted to the rear due to the layout of the vehicle and its centre of gravity.  One downside was that the side armour had to be dropped to allow the turret to fully traverse, leaving the crewmen slightly exposed!

Secondly we've got the T-15 light tank, again built by Vickers in the UK from 1935-1938 and armed with a 13.2 Hotchkiss machine gun.  These were only used in small numbers, 42 in total compared to 300+ of the T-13's.  One interesting note is that these were not referred to as 'tanks' by the Belgian military/government, instead calling them armoured motorcars so as to not provoke Germany. 

And finally we've got the rather small Utility B tractor as well.  This was originally the Vickers Utility tractor but this our model is the later 'B' version, licensed and produced in Belgium from 1936.  Numbers built were under 300 in total.

And of course some pics of them!

T-13 tank destroyer:

T-15 light tank:

Utility B tractor:

And a picture of the Utility B in use, to show just how small it was:

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

Fantastic news and another great set of vehicles for early WWII :). Can't wait to see the infantry which will be perfect for BKCII and Battlegroup Blitzkreig.

petercooman

Great!

Looking forward to the infantry!!!

fsn

Quote from: Leon on 12 February 2017, 12:50:40 PM
Dave's been wanting to do a few Belgians for a while,
Whatever get you going in the morning.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Quote from: fsn on 12 February 2017, 06:23:11 PM
Whatever get you going in the morning.

Awkward. Especially being a Belgian myself  ^#(^ ^#(^ ^#(^ ^#(^

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

PB

Nice and added to my list of must haves

Gazza

15 February 2017, 10:20:41 PM #10 Last Edit: 15 February 2017, 10:33:20 PM by Gazza
I've been recently reading quite a bit about the Low Countries in May 1940, so this has certainly come at the right time for me. The T-13 variants were almost like an inversion of the British Infantry Tank MK. I (A11). Whereas the A11 had very heavy armour for the period, it's only armament was a single Vickers MG, whilst the T-13s were very poorly armoured, but packed a hell of a wallop in the form of the 47 mm FRC M32, which was more than capable of tackling any German armour around at the time! If you are to do infantry (I suppose you have to now, really) could you please make sure there are some beret-sporting Chasseur Ardennais?  :D

'Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire? The one nearest the door of course.' - GB Shaw

Das Blog: http://we-stand-and-fight.blogspot.co.uk/

Orcs

15 February 2017, 11:17:29 PM #11 Last Edit: 15 February 2017, 11:19:31 PM by Orcs
I have a Belgian amy in 10mm. In this scale you can just do  paint job conversion on the standard French in Adrian helmet.  The Belgians had black leather gaiter instead of putttees, but paint the puttees black like the boots and its barely noticeable - especially once on the table.

For officers, British in cap will do.

Bofors AA with French Crew
French 75mm will do fo the Belgian 75
Universal carriers were also used.

At a push you could use the French AMR 35 as an ACG1, as the Belgians only possessed 10 and only 9 of those saw action, so you will probably only need 1 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

O Dinas Powys

I now *need* Utility B tractors; absolutely now idea why, but there you go!!!
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Dave

22 February 2017, 09:35:27 AM #13 Last Edit: 22 February 2017, 07:04:42 PM by Leon
Quote from: Orcs on 15 February 2017, 11:17:29 PM
I have a Belgian amy in 10mm. In this scale you can just do  paint job conversion on the standard French in Adrian helmet.  The Belgians had black leather gaiter instead of putttees, but paint the puttees black like the boots and its barely noticeable - especially once on the table.

At a push you could use the French AMR 35 as an ACG1, as the Belgians only possessed 10 and only 9 of those saw action, so you will probably only need 1  

We have also done the ACG1 moulded it before Leon could photograph it :)

EDIT: Quote box fixed.

John Cook

Quote from: Orcs on 15 February 2017, 11:17:29 PM

Hi, the Belgians didn't use French 75mm guns in 1940.

They had the 75 mm TR, a licence built copy of the Krupp 7.7cm FK96 n/a – use Pendraken GP5.

They also use the 75mm GPIII, a German 7.7cm FK16, re-barrelled to 75mm.  I don't think Pendraken do a 7.7cm FK16.

Not at all sure about Universal Carriers being in Belgian service in 1940.

If you are going to use Pendraken French as surrogate Belgians you'll need MG08s and BARs for their heavy and light MGs.