Longstreet Bases per Unit

Started by old smokie, 11 February 2017, 12:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old smokie

Just bought these from ebay £28 for the rules and two card sets, one unopened  :-bd

Anybody playing these rules, how many bases in your units on average if there is one, from a quick read through of Longstreet it says anywhere from 2 to 10 bases per unit. Would it be better just to take a divisions OOB and go from there, dividing the number of men in a division by the 75-100 men per base as in the rules to get the number of bases. So a 5000 strong division would be 50 bases at a 100 men or 66 bases at 75 men

thoughts on the above

jimduncanuk

Whenever my playing group finds the time to play we will be starting with full strength units (10 bases for infantry) and losses will apply as we work through the campaign.

Playing a particular battle may require a different approach.

My Ego forbids a signature.

Leman

If you play the rules as intended then you start your career with a small brigade. All the infantry regiments have 10 bases to start with. TBH this is the best way to play Longstreet. Personally I wouldn't use Longstreet for fighting historical battles. Prefer FOB2 for that.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Aksu

Hullo,
Our experience based on a couple of campaigns and quite a few historical battles: Six to eight bases is fairly normal, four is the practical minima for useful units. Ten bases, the maximum under the rules, is a bit unwieldy.
Cheers,
Aksu

Leman

However, those ten bases represent a brand new regiment just out of training camp (usually in 1861). Very quickly bases are lost to casualties and camp fever. It is possible to recruit replacements and have your home state send replacements, but various decisions you have to make means that they rarely get back above 7 or 8 bases again, as happened in the actual war. I happen to think that these are Sam Mustafa's best rules to date as they really do put you in the position of an officer of the time beset by realistic decisions and political interference. As your force is a brigade or at best a small division, the battles are never unwieldy affairs, which also means there is not the necessity to invest in many hundreds of figures, as is often needed in the likes of RF&F.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!