Short question on service dates...

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 11 February 2017, 09:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Next question chaos:
Company commander Land Rover in British Infantry company, in the early 80s, long or short wheelbase?

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Officially none, but it depends on role, an airportable would be LWB, airmobile SWB. It could also be down to preference of the officer. Btn transport was normally pooled with an allowance of 1 - 2 vehicles for the company.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Excellent, thanks Ian.
To quote the Colonel in Bluestone 42: Well, if you look over there, those boxes contain my Land Rover, labelled and ready to be shipped to my home address. Best souvenir I think.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

holdfast

British Infantry Company commander in the early/mid 1980s had a FV432 as his vehicle. Total 2 in coy HQ. I think the CSM had a 1 tonner or a LWB landrover.
Sappers (32 Armoured Engineer Regt) had the Centurion with the 165mm gun until and including the First Gulf War. They were fitted with reactive armour for the First Gulf War.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

One more from TOE - last regiment re-equipped with Chieftains in 1973. 

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021