High Elves vs Goblins

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 10 February 2017, 02:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

10 February 2017, 02:29:14 PM Last Edit: 10 February 2017, 02:35:38 PM by mad lemmey
Scenario: AmbushElves, a tough nut to crack, especially when they are nicely bunched up!
OUCH!
My poor Free Goblins of Goblotopia contingent! Squished!
General D6+1
Mage D6 +1
2 x Warriors (with Fierce)
2 x Wolf Rider (one with Hero Stumpy Jason)
2 x archers
Spider herd
Trolls

John's force was unchanged from last time, apart from having a hero with his knights, rather than a D6+1 wizard (downgraded to D6).
We tried ambushing John's Hugh Elves, led by Percy The Inert (put it like this, John went through an AWFUL lot of failed motivation dice, at least two dozen), were surrounded, but saved by his Ent, again!
After squishing Stumpy Jason who was breaking a unit of Elf archers (all innocently like) (and spending about two turn removing his remains from his roots), he then went on to take on, and beat (with archery support) my Trolls!
My mage spent most of the game failing to motivate, but then getting 7MP spells off to boost the rest of the army!
A unit of warriors caught John's mage, in the back, but broke under sustained missile and spell fire, before the bearded wizard could lose his final hit!
My attempted charge by other wolf riders was squashed by Celestial Shield and a flank charge by John's spears, I tried to flank them with Big Jason (2d6, plus charging, plus fierce, plus flank attack, 6d6, what could go wrong) only to have him broken, in 1 turn, by John's general who finally worked out his role in life as a combat monster, charging Jason frontally and smashing him!
His general then went on to break a Goblin archer unit, the other archers got squished by the ent, and it was all over!

My only successessessssssssss were my Spider horde who withstood John's knightly charge (with hero), and beat them, pushing them back, breaking them and then converting into John's guards, which we failed to break, including a timely support charge by a unit of Warriors!

I made one mistake, generals can't rally! So after that, it really was all over!
Losses:
Trolls
Warriors
Both Wolf Riders
Both Archers
Big Jason

Lessons learned:

• Generals, they are not to go in unsupported.
  • Ents are still nasty
  • Wolf riders should be saved for tasty flank targets, away from generals and ents
  • Its difficult to regenerate trolls from 6 hits from charging Ents!

Questions:

• Can units contacted in flank or rear (that aren't formed) motivate to turn to fight? (we said yes).
  • Can anyone suggest a source of 10mm weedkiller to get rid of the damned Ent!
  • Can anyone suggest an army that can beat Elves!

Photos when I get home, there's only two!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Chieftain

QuoteCan units contacted in flank or rear (that aren't formed) motivate to turn to fight? (we said yes).

No.

"All units contacted are immediately locked into melee and cannot voluntarily move until they disengage.  Units may only disengage from melee contact as a result of a combat outcome move (fall back or rout)."

...and...

"A unit contacted on its flank does not turn to face the opponent, even if it remains locked in melee for multiple combat turns."

QuoteCan anyone suggest a source of 10mm weedkiller to get rid of the damned Ent!

This?

Or giants.

Or Minotaurs.

QuoteCan anyone suggest an army that can beat Elves!

Elves?

:)
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Luddite

Sounds like a great game Lemmy!

The High Elves are a solid opponent for sure and the tree elementals doubly so!

I prefer the giant to the trolls as a goblin option, and combined with the 2x wolf riders the giant can be devastating.  That might be able to take on the tree creatures?

Dealing with the elves generally, maybe try skirmishing wolf riders with lots of terrain?

Or bolt shooters if you want to try to outshoot them?
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

DFlynSqrl

Sounds like a tough fight!  Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Set up

You can see at least two of my units breaking... including Big Jason

:'(
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Joken

What a frustrating battle.

I really couldn't get anything moving (General rolls a 1 etc).

I'm going to re-engineer my elves which to be honest are based on the GW BOFA components of my Army that are painted, but which will now be upgraded with unicorns, elementals and chariots (arrived Thursday!).

Given my in ability to roll 4+ I need to invest in more heros.

Although the guard archers stood their ground I think I'll boost the normal spears and bows instead and ditch the ballista (two games in a row where it's done little more than frighten the crew).

This game would have been a chastening loss for me apart from two moves. In both cases wolf riders charged when perhaps they shouldn't, un-supported, Ent in the flank etc. If those riders had been around in the later phases when I had multiple units on 1 motivation, game over...

However, what charges, Ents to the left of them,  spears to the front of them, into the valley of death ......