Operation Dragon Forge

Started by bigjackmac, 06 February 2017, 09:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

That was an intense firefight Jack, very readable blog as usual  :-bd
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

bigjackmac

29 March 2017, 02:07:05 PM #32 Last Edit: 29 March 2017, 02:09:47 PM by bigjackmac
All,

AKA, Unit 101's 7th Fight of Operation Payback

It's 1025 on 14 Jul 1990, and Unit 101 is heading into action outside Langkawi, Malaysia.  Following the successful raid in Lebanon which captured "The Mayor," intelligence information was discovered leading the team to its next target: "The Persian" is a Shiite Muslim born of Iranian parents in Lebanon in the mid-1960s, true name Ali bin-Schwammy-Roksamshammy (we'll stick with "The Persian"), and he's rumored to have details regarding the brokers of the ambush in Algeria.  The Israelis were very helpful in assisting with logistics for the Unit to get to Langkawi in a speedy and clandestine manner.

The Cubans are working bilaterally with the Malaysians (this was actually Ivan's suggestion, so if it doesn't work...), and the troops are crossing the line of departure.

Overview of the battlefield, north is up.  The southern end of The Persian's compound is at top center and top left (his house is off camera to top left about another 250m); the Malaysians and Cubans will enter the table in the southeast (bottom right).  They are mounted, so they will move west (left) to the bridge, cross, then fan out and clear this portion of the compound before re-mounting and moving on the north end of the compound (which will be the next batrep).

The table is 4' x 4' on a new mat I bought, played out solo in 15mm using Ivan's "5Core Company Command" rules, though with "Five Men at Kursk"-style activation (each team and vehicle gets an activation dice, each team and vehicle can act and react once per turn).

The opposing forces, resplendent in 15mm.  The M-113s are Old Glory, the Land Rover and Technical are Peter Pig, the bad guy infantry is Peter Pig, and the good guy infantry is Flashpoint Minis.

"Contact, RPG at 3 o'clock!!!"  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/03/operation-dragon-forge-fight-7.html

I played a total of three games this past weekend, I'm working on getting the other two written up.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

Thanks Lemmey!  It was a helluva fight, glad you liked it.

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

AKA, Unit 101's 8th Fight of Operation Payback

It's 1130 on 14 Jul 1990, and Unit 101 is in the thick of it near Langkawi, Malaysia.  After going it alone caused logistics and force projection problems for the Cubans, and drew the ire of some erstwhile allies (or at least neutrals and potential allies), Major Villanueva and Unit 101 are working a bilateral operation with Malaysian Special Forces to take down The Persian, a terrorist with ties to the ambush of a Cuban diplomatic envoy in Morocco.

The Persian's compound is relatively remote, and while not fortified, it does have a large contingent of armed men protecting it.  The Cubans and Malaysians just finished Phase 1 of the operation, which was securing the southern end of The Persian's compound.  Several vehicles were hit and moderate casualties suffered; Rake (Unit 101's senior enlisted man) and Captain Choy (the Malaysian SF commander) quickly reorganize the task force.  Major Villanueva, leading the Unit 101 direct action element which will close assault The Persian's house, moves up to join the task force on the southern end of the compound, leading a couple Malaysian vehicles with replacements forward.

Rake and Captain Choy quickly got one of the damaged M-113s back into action, then integrated the new vehicles and replacement troops.  Everyone reviewed the scheme of maneuver and checked comms, then stepped off, crossing the line of departure.  Phase 2, the securing of the north end of The Persian's compound, is under way (Phase 3 is Major Villanueva leading the shooters to take down The Persian's house).

Overview of table, north is up.  The Persian's house is at top left, the north end of the compound at top center, with a coconut grove just east (right) of the eastern-most buildings.  The Cuban/Malaysian task force will enter the table in the southeast (bottom right).

The table is 4' x 4' on a new mat I bought, played out solo in 15mm using Ivan's "5Core Company Command" rules, though with "Five Men at Kursk"-style activation (each team and vehicle gets an activation dice, each team and vehicle can act and react once per turn).

I got kinda lucky on the bad guy blinds: there are not nearly as many bad guys as there could have been, and while they have another damn mortar, that's the only heavy weapon they have.  You can see the good guys on the road at bottom right, and the bad guys really spread out, with some at left, top left, top center, and top right.

Apparently I really enjoy being ambushed, and Tiger 27 doesn't appear long for this world.  To see the whole fight, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/03/operation-dragon-forge-fight-8.html

The fight was a lot of fun, and the rules tweaks I've made are working out great.  There's one more fight to be posted from this operation, then it's on to some punitive raids and things are going to heat up in South Leon.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Are the Malaysians sending Cuba the bill for that one Jack?  ;D
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Another cracking report, Jack !

Cheers - Phil.

bigjackmac

Thanks Phil, and Lemmey, there's no price for doing the right thing! ;)

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

AKA, Unit 101's 9th Fight of Operation Payback

It's 1205 on 14 Jul 1990, and Unit 101 is on the verge of capturing The Persian, the goal of Operation Dragon Forge.  The Persian's capture will yield information on which country(ies) and individual(s) was responsible for the ambush of a Cuban diplomat in Morocco.

After fighting to collect information through Morocco, Italy, and Lebanon, the Unit has arrived in Malaysia.  Working with Captain Choy of Malaysian Special Forces, the Unit has punched into and secured The Persian's compound in a series of intense firefights.  With the compound secured, Major Villanueva is leading a team of five shooters to The Persian's house to capture him.  Separated from him during the battle, a team of The Persian's most loyal soldiers, his personal bodyguards, have simultaneously arrived at the house.  The opposing forces are making a mad dash to grab The Persian and whisk him away, one for questioning, one to safety.

Overview of map, north is down.  Major Villanueva and his team are at left, The Persian's bodyguard at right, and The Persian is in the building at center right.  Note the two casualty figures at bottom center; those are the mortar crew that was knocked out by the OH-6 gunship at the end of the last fight.

The 'table' is maybe 15" x 15", and this is going to be a quick and bloody affair.  Both sides are killing each other while moving forward to get The Persian.  I planned on being a bit more nuanced, a bit more in depth, but I'd been playing all day and I was tired, my back hurt, and my wife was complaining (I played Dragon Forge games 7, 8, and 9 all in a row).  So this is going to be real quick, not even sure if I can really say there are rules ;)

I've got a deck of cards, two colors, one card per man.  Each time a card is pulled, one man on that team gets to move up and fire, or rally.  Everyone will keep moving until the other side is dead and/or The Persian is grabbed.  The Cubans will get slightly better firing dice as they are top tier commandos.

A fierce firefight rages in the courtyard.  To see if the Cuban Special Forces were able to capture The Persian or not, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/04/operation-dragon-forge-fight-9.html

Either way, information has become available which makes it possible to determine the individuals behind the attack on The Ambassador, and Cubans are planning to move out in search of retribution.

Which is the next set of fights, coming right up.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton