Time spent playing wargames

Started by d_Guy, 30 January 2017, 05:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What percent of your total wargaming time is actually spent playing?

I only think about playing
7 (16.7%)
Less than 5%
16 (38.1%)
10% to 15%
10 (23.8%)
Greater than 15%
9 (21.4%)
I like to watch
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: 09 February 2017, 05:10:18 PM

Roy

One of the reasons why I've taken to playing Star Wars X-Wing, and hopefully Star Trek Attack Wing, is to combat the lack of game time I manage. 
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

PB

Once a fortnight, plus an occasional solo foray when I'm particularly inspired. Paint and read nearly every day.

Leman

I don't regard reading military history as part of my wargaming unless I'm researching for a particular game. I read works on WWII, later WWI, Spanish Civil War, Hundred Years War, Waterloo campaign, colonial campaigns, but don't game any of them.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

Quote from: PB on 31 January 2017, 08:31:12 PM
Once a fortnight, plus an occasional solo foray when I'm particularly inspired.

Are we still talking about gaming?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

far4ngn

Haven't played a game for ages, just appear to keep collecting and painting or trying to finish off collections...

Need to get into Solo gaming :)

Sandinista

I find solo gaming improves my scenario building and makes multi player games more interesting

Cheers
Ian

Westmarcher

Difficult to quantify. On past performance, very little wargaming. Mainly solo with the odd human opponent game. To put things in some sort of order, my involvement in the hobby could be described as history first (in terms of reading or watching - in all periods but with a preference for Horse & Musket) then wargaming with collecting last. Spend a lot of time on forums and blogs too, mind you!   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

skywalker

I manage on average one game (2 to 3 hours) per week  :'(
On the plus side I usually get to spend on average 8 hours per week painting/modeling  ;)

sunjester

Quote from: Westmarcher on 01 February 2017, 09:57:13 AM
Mainly solo with the odd human opponent game.   

I think most of my human opponents are odd! :o

But then, I do regularly game with Just a Few Orcs and Last Hussar.  ;D :P

Orcs

Quote from: sunjester on 01 February 2017, 05:29:22 PM
I think most of my human opponents are odd! :o

But then, I do regularly game with Just a Few Orcs and Last Hussar.  ;D :P

I cant argue with that !  :)  I think you will find the feeling is mutual  :)

Well I suppose I can argue that you should have said "All" and not "most"

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Subedai

I had one game last year and that was solo! Nowadays my time is spent researching, writing, reading and on forums; I haven't picked up a paintbrush in anger since last October. I go to two or three local shows a year and really that's really about it.

Yours sincerely, Mr. Boring

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the participation and the thoughtful comments. Interesting but not totally surprising results.
The fifth category, "I like to watch", besides being a famous line from "Being There" I thought maybe a spouse or significant other might pick it. My wife has claimed in the past that she prefers to watch wargames (to avoid playing I think). Strangely she does cross words or plays solitaire while she "watches".
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Westmarcher

"Being there" was a good. What "cross words" do you get from her?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

One of Sellers' best, for my money.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

He was Oscar nominated for it, said it was his proudest moment (friend is his ex-pa)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner