To Hell with Spain, Remember the Maine!

Started by fsn, 30 January 2017, 08:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 30 January 2017, 07:27:08 PM
No one's going to shift me from BC and AD - take offence all you like, but Europeans came up with it based on Christianity, then stamped it worldwide with running lapdog imperialism. It happened, we got there first, tough turnips!
;D Preach, brother.

I fell into the BCE/CE habit from writing papers ( :o me! papers!  I hear Kitty's head exploding from here  :D).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

d_Guy

@fsn

So far I have identified Techno, Leman, and your good self. Have probables on Pixie, Westie and Orcs (but could easily be wrong on the last two).

That last picture in your post, is that not Leon, Dave and Mr. Lemmy on their annual hunting trek to the Cairngorms?

GrumpyOldMan

Hello FSN

Maybe SCW Andaluz Militia for Spanish/Filipino troops:-

with Russo-Japanese Japanese officers.

The US troops with lemon squeezer hats and long gaiters are more of a problem unless you want to individually modify WW1 USA troops :(. Some pictures from the Phillipines show no gaiters and campaign hats so you could use ACW figures:-

Maybe you could use Rugga Rugga as Filipino guerrillas/Moro

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: d_Guy on 30 January 2017, 09:14:53 PM

That last picture in your post, is that not Leon, Dave and Mr. Lemmy on their annual hunting trek to the Cairngorms?
=O =O =O =D>
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

I don't need another project, I don't need another project, I don't need another project,
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Thank you Grumpy, for taking the subject a little bit seriously.

I like those Militia figures for the Spanish. Their hats look a little more disreputable.

This is the US look I think is do-able.

The gaiters don't look so pronounced, so I can probably get away with a paint job, and the hat is more John Wayne than Lemon Squeezer. There are photos of US troops sans gaiters.

I'd like to see some turn of the century US troops in lemon-squeezers and khaki tunics. However, not enough to campaign for, you'll be pleased to know.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

d_Guy

Ok fsn - I'm properly chastened  :)

I can't remember if any of the US cavalry in Cuba were mounted - I know the "Rough Riders" were not.
Both the 9th and 10th Cavalry (historically significant units) fought in Cuba. Were they mounted - I  don't know
but they would be interesting to do as such and maybe these would work:

ACW28
Using these to portray the "Buffalo Soldiers" would have a certain irony   :)

Other Confederate ACW might have some application?

Since the US full dress after 1871 mimicked the Germans...maybe?

I ran across this a couple years ago and found it in my book marks.
It was prepared on the 100th anniversary of the SA war and focuses on a logistics comparison to the First Gulf War,
but has info on the 1898 US expeditionary force (PDF)
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a345849.pdf

Hope you find some of this useful

DFlynSqrl

We tackled this a while back in 28mm.  We used figures from Tiger Miniatures, so you might take a peek at their range to get their take on the look of the troops.  It's not 10mm, but just for ideas.

fsn

Leman

Those Andaluz chaps look as though they would also make useful Boers, and could also be employed on the US side - not just Cuba but also Peking (Oh, how offensive you pale barbarian; everyone knows it's Beijing, or maybe Bayqinx???)
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!