Atlas Editions Vulcan 1/144 £1.99 !

Started by Sunray, 30 January 2017, 03:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I saw this offer on TV from Atlas Editions. It is 1/144 which would provide a backdrop  for games or diorama.    No much use on the table, although Cold War they were trained in  low level in a conventional strike role.

Anyone see any catch with this offer?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

O Dinas Powys

(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 30 January 2017, 09:50:05 AM
Just trying to find the catch in the Terms and Conditions...  :-\

OUR OFFER, YOUR GUARANTEES

> No need to send any money now.

> You will receive the latest model from the Jet Age Military Aircraft Collection approximately every 4 weeks, unless you inform us and you will only be charged once you have received your exclusive Jet Age Military Aircraft replica.

> You are 100% free to cancel your collection at any time. Just write, email, call and say so - no explanation is necessary.

> One application per household.
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Sunray

For £1.99 that's a lot of 1/144 aircraft.  A good theme scenic for a character game.  RAF Vulcan goes missing with nuclear bomb load.  Located on remote Third World airstrip.   

Special forces in overt mode (Falklands Paras with sand coloured berets) are dropped in to secure.  Local war lord hears about it and send jeeps, lorries, BTR 152 and T.34. 

GAME ON !

Oh just need those North Koreans to act as Proxy militia -   =P~  Where are they Phil ?

Sunray

The Vulcan arrived this morning - impressive model for £1.99.

As O Dynas has explained - receive, pay and cancel any further shipments - otherwise they send you a model you don't want EVERY month1  X_X

The Model is ideal for a modern scenario - not as a weapon (what's the 1/150 scale of 60,000 ft? Although it might have an application at low level ?)

Mine will be parked on the ramp as a scenic in a bush war game to recover a nuclear warhead..

SV52

It will of course cost considerably more for subsequent editions, same as all these things over past years.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

Quote from: Sunray on 30 January 2017, 03:55:47 PM
Oh just need those North Koreans to act as Proxy militia -   =P~  Where are they Phil ?

Sitting on my desk, to keep from putting even more moulding pressure on Leon & Dave.  :D

Cheers - Phil  :D

pierre the shy

Quote from: Sunray on 10 February 2017, 12:10:56 PM
The Model is ideal for a modern scenario - not as a weapon (what's the 1/150 scale of 60,000 ft? Although it might have an application at low level ?)

Vulcan - the ultimate close air support aircraft?

Can you sort of imagine the look on your opponents face when you make your close air support role and in comes the Vulcan at low level to lay a line of thousand pounders across the table....
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Flying in lower than 50', they had to pull up to bomb height, or they wouldn't get the bombs to arm!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Didn't at least one low flying Vulcan hit a cactus at a test range in Nevada  :o
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Surely this is a "must have" if you game the Falklands ?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Already got a Tumbling Dice one for that!!! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Quote from: Orcs on 10 February 2017, 08:35:10 PM
Surely this is a "must have" if you game the Falklands ?

Your Marines/Paras/Guardsmen/Ghurkas might have to wait quite a few turns for the Vulcan to show up......quite a distance from Ascension Is to the Falklands  ;)   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Sunray

Quote from: pierre the shy on 11 February 2017, 02:29:04 AM
Your Marines/Paras/Guardsmen/Ghurkas might have to wait quite a few turns for the Vulcan to show up......quite a distance from Ascension Is to the Falklands  ;)   

At high altitude they could operate in the thin air and drop on a big target like the airfield.  The Vulcan  is not battlefield interdiction precision bombing kit.
If I had told that a Vulcan was coming to provide close ground support to troops in a firefight, I would have dug a very very deep hole, got in it, bent over and kissed my arse goodbye. :-h

However, I love your line about the look on an opponent's face.  :x  as one is placed on its stand on the table !!

Now if the Pussers had had an old fashioned traditional carrier and a flying banana or two. The Buccaneer was the queen of the Killing Ground on low level strike - the Task Force would have had ground moving  air support.