Comission a Figure

Started by Captain Verbeek, 14 October 2010, 01:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Verbeek

Hypothetical:  If someone were willing to pay to have a Mexican American War US Infantry Marching figure produced i.e. pay for the sculpture and mold.  About how much would that cost?  If someone were willing to pay to a have a Mexican American War US Infantry Marching and US Dragoon figures produced would the cost double?  Is the expensive part of the process the sculpter, the mold or the materials for the production?
Non Cadmus

Leon

The costings for the sculpt and the mould probably work out about the same, the materials are not so much.  We've never been keen on doing commissioned work as it leaves you open to legal issues around the ownership of the figures sculpted. 

We have done things a slightly different way in the past, where we have asked people to place an order for x amount of figures, and then we'll get their request produced for them.  It's not something we've done for a while though, as we don't have the designers available with the free time at the moment.  The other downside is, that when you do one, it opens the floodgates to people with similar requests.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Captain Verbeek

So if someone were willing to foot the bill for the sculpts, molds and sign a waiver of ownership.  Could it be done discretely via email as to not open flood gates?
Non Cadmus

Sandinista

Quote from: Captain Verbeek on 14 October 2010, 04:18:00 PM
So if someone were willing to foot the bill for the sculpts, molds and sign a waiver of ownership.  Could it be done discretely via email as to not open flood gates?
Very discrete  ;) I'm visualising a full inbox for Leon with Aztecs at the top  :D

lentulus

Quote from: Sandinista on 14 October 2010, 05:14:37 PM
Very discrete  ;) I'm visualising a full inbox for Leon with Aztecs at the top  :D

Maybe they can auction off sculptor time slots?

Leon

Quote from: Captain Verbeek on 14 October 2010, 04:18:00 PM

Not really unfortunately, mainly because none of our designers have any spare time at the moment, but also because we don't work that way.  We'd use the method I mentioned above, but the design schedules are booked up into 2011 now.  The best thing to do for now would be to muster up some votes in the 'Requests' section and see if you can get it into the Top 10.  That would make it more likely to happen.

Another note though, is that if we just produced those two figures, we would instantly be hit with requests and complaints from people as to why we aren't expanding it straightaway!

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Last Hussar

Quote from: lentulus on 14 October 2010, 05:49:03 PM
Maybe they can auction off sculptor time slots?

Auction off a scuptor! "Work harder, or we send you to Foundry!"
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Captain Verbeek

Thank you for all of the information.  I will function within the normal request routine.  I need to order some more Sudan figs anyway and can't wait to get my hands on the new Mahdi cavalry, Huzzah.  Thanks again. 
Non Cadmus