10mm Germans and Canadians for the Mediterranean

Started by bigjackmac, 28 January 2017, 02:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

I was reading on the internet and it fired me up to try out some old rules.  And for these new rules, I needed some new troops.  I actually refrained from adding to the lead pile; instead, I re-purposed some figures I had lying around, and I'm very happy with how they turned out. 

I'm looking at heading to the Mediterranean, specifically Sicily and Italy, for some WWII gaming between Canadians and Germans.  Here's a look at what I did.

Two equal forces, all troops and equipment from Pendraken.  Both sides have a Company Commander (on a quarter), four rifle platoons (three squad stands and Platoon Commander on a penny), two machine guns on tripods (Vickers and MG-42s), a mortar (3" and 80mm), two anti-tank stands (PIATs and Panzerschrecks), an anti-tank gun (6-pounder, and I wanted a PaK-38, but had Pak-40s on hand), and one Engineer squad.  Amongst my 10mm WWII collection I've got plenty of other guns and vehicles to use as well, everything from Bren carriers to various armored cars, halftracks, self-propelled guns, and tanks.

Some Canadian rifle squads.  You can see I went with the lightweight summer uniforms, sand colored (almost white when faded, from what I could tell from contemporary pictures), and I put red divisional patches on each shoulder.

Some German rifle squads.  I painted the trousers desert yellow, and a lot of hats and helmets got the same treatment.  I left some of the hats field gray, though all the helmets are either desert yellow or camouflage.

To see more pics and get some details on my plans for these guys, please check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/01/10mm-germans-and-canadians-for.html

I've got one more fight to play out to finish up my US Marines in the Philippines (two still to post), and I've got some modern Special Operations stuff going on for Cuba Libre, but I want to get to this project as soon as possible, start working with the boy on the new rules.

V/R,
Jack

Terry37

Jack, those look great! I am especially impressed with your camouflaged Germans, Are you going to do some armor to go with them? Starmer has an excellent book on British camo for AFV in the Italian campaign if you're looking for that kind of info..

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

lowlylowlycook

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

PB

Liking those and a really interesting theatre to game

NTM

Excellent work  :)

Can you please advise which flock you used?
I'm currently using buff ballast for my Med stuff but quite like the warmer look of what you've used.

fred.

They have come out very well, Jack.

They do have that Mediterranean look to them - probably mainly due to the bases.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Gazza

Great work. Especially liking the camo on the Jerries! It's damn hard to pull off at this scale. Looking forward to seeing some batreps.
'Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire? The one nearest the door of course.' - GB Shaw

Das Blog: http://we-stand-and-fight.blogspot.co.uk/

bigjackmac

Wow, goodness, quite a turnout!  First up, thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

Terry - I've actually already got a bunch of vehicles and guns from NW Europe; I'm too lazy to repaint them, but thanks for the book recommendation.

NTM - Well, I've already thrown the bag away, so not exactly sure, but the flock is from Woodland Scenics, about $5 for more than I'll ever need ;)

Fred - The bases definitely set them off.  I'm pretty happy with the 'Med' uniforms as well, though I wonder if the Canadian helmets shouldn't be a bit more olive drab?

Gaz and Ronan - It's been a long time, gentlemen!  Good to hear from you again.

V/R,
Jack

NTM

Thanks if it woodland scenics I guess it's their yellow grass.

Techno

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

No problem NTM, and thanks Phil and Andy!

V/R,
Jack