...More Oars...

Started by snake777, 28 January 2017, 12:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snake777

Hi All,

Having just clocked Ithoriel's post on Ancient naval warfare, I thought you might like to peruse a few of my Renaissance Galleys... These were inspired by Thomas Foss over at Skull and Crown, but mine are made of paper and card, I've pimped them a bit here and there and they are at a rather indeterminate scale, somewhere between 1/400 & 1/450 (ish)... The lighthouse is scratch-built tho'...  :D

best wishes,

Stu

snake777

...a couple more...

snake777

Venetian Lighthouse...

snake777

Watchtower...

snake777

Venetian Lanterna...

FierceKitty

Pretty. I say with regret, however, that I've never played a galleys game that didn't turn into a book-keeping, dice-rolling marathon. Do you have a way around this?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Very pretty indeed.

Now I need to discipline myself to finish the Ancients galleys and not get diverted back to the part painted Armada period ships languishing on my "to paint" shelf :(

I have some Brigade miniatures stuff for my Ancients scenery. Roman buildings and Vietnamese ones - the pagoda will make a passable Roman lighthouse.

Not nearly as good looking as yours though!!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Very attractive models you've made. 

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Those are very impressive indeed.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

mollinary

Love the Chania Lighthouse, was looking at in real life only three months ago!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

snake777

Thank you Gentlemen for the kind words  :) When I have some time, I'll photograph my Venetian Mude... (That's not something one gets to say very often!!...)

In reply:

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 January 2017, 12:52:20 AM
Pretty. I say with regret, however, that I've never played a galleys game that didn't turn into a book-keeping, dice-rolling marathon. Do you have a way around this?

Thank you FK... I've had  similar problems in the past, though the above mentioned Mr. Foss has a set of rules called 'Galleys, Guns and Glory!' which seems on reading to find a reasonable balance...

Quote from: Ithoriel on 28 January 2017, 02:17:08 AM
Very pretty indeed.

Now I need to discipline myself to finish the Ancients galleys and not get diverted back to the part painted Armada period ships languishing on my "to paint" shelf :(

I have some Brigade miniatures stuff for my Ancients scenery. Roman buildings and Vietnamese ones - the pagoda will make a passable Roman lighthouse.

Not nearly as good looking as yours though!!

Many thanks Ithoriel, I made quite a few of these, then ran out of steam and got attracted by new shinies... t'was ever thus...

Quote from: paulr on 28 January 2017, 04:10:50 AM
:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Thank you Paul  :)

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 28 January 2017, 05:11:29 AM
Very attractive models you've made. 

Thanks llc...  :) They are quite simple really, I use a  template for the hull and oar banks and then print out textures for the sterns, arumbadas, sails and flags... can get quite a production line going, but still haven't matched the original Venetian output!  :D

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 January 2017, 07:58:02 AM
Those are very impressive indeed.

Many thanks lemmy, much appreciated  :)

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 28 January 2017, 12:49:00 PM
Those are brilliant  =D>

Thank you Roy, I enjoyed making them, I need to return to them before much longer, Lepanto @ 1:1 beckons!!!!!  ;D

Quote from: Westmarcher on 28 January 2017, 01:17:33 PM
Very well crafted!  :-bd

Thanks Westmarcher. Although made of card and paper they are remarkably sturdy  :)

Quote from: toxicpixie on 29 January 2017, 11:46:26 AM
Very spiffy!

Most kind Sir!  :D

Quote from: mollinary on 29 January 2017, 03:03:28 PM
Love the Chania Lighthouse, was looking at in real life only three months ago!

Mollinary

Thank you Mollinary, I took some liberties, but it came out ok I think  ;D