Gravelotte St Privat, 1870, coming soon

Started by kipt, 24 January 2017, 05:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameronian

The forest is so dense and the trees so high its virtually impossible, that's why Steinmetz tried to push artillery over the Mance and up the causeway. The railway was unfinished at the time of the battle. These big terrain board excersises are fun, don't forget to post the AAR, what rules are you using ?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

AAR will be posted. The Prussian official history does have guns firing from the west side but not very effectively, hence Steinmetz's push to the east.

Rules will be Russ Lockwood's "Snappy Nappy" with my changes to "Sappy Nappy".

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

DFlynSqrl

kipt

And here is the game.

GRAVELOTTE ST PRIVAT
The After Action Report
The battle, played on February 18, 2017, is done.  The actual battle occurred on August 18, 1870, 146 and a half years earlier.  Our fight was different.
In the actual battle, Bazaine was not even on the field and essentially kept the Imperial Guard out of the fight.  Wargamers being wargamers, and my friend Didier (as Bazaine) being aggressive, had the Guard notified on turn one and moving on turn 2.  (I used Bruce Weigle's map and OB's for the game, but to get everyone playing – we had 14 gamers – as soon as possible, I moved up entry times by an hour).
General von Steinmetz had special rules, as follows:
General Von Steinmetz Special Rules
1.    You are a Charismatic leader but with Poltroon judgement.  This means that rallying or leading (attached to a unit) troops, you use the Charismatic factor but when giving orders you use the Poltroon factor.  However, if you attach and give an order, that order is followed when you detach.
2.   You have the VII Corps under your command.  While the VIII Corps and 1st
Cavalry Division are not, you claim them as needed by announcing the fact to whoever is their commander.
3.   You see that the French right flank appears weak and your personal mission is to take the St Hubert and Moscou Farms, no matter what the cost.
These were not to be shared other than when he took command of the VIII Korps and 1st Cavalry Division.
The Prussians had as their objective the road from Metz (off board) through St Privat and Roncourt.  The French to keep open the roads off the NW>
We started the day with some history of the 4 days previous combats; Colombey-Nouilly on 14 -August, Vionville/Mars-La –tour on 16 August.  Forces in those combats were noted, indicating that there had been losses (this to somewhat reinforce Steinmetz mind set).
Set up on the board were the French II, III and part of the IV Corps.  The corps cavalry, corps artillery reserves and most of the IV Corps infantry were hidden behind the ridge line.  The entire VI Corps was behind the haze (grey line in the pictures).  Also the Imperial Guard, Artillery Reserve and Cavalry Reserve were off board and could only enter one hour after ordered to do so.  As noted above that order was given immediately, so they could enter at the 1300 hour turn.

The Prussians had the VII and VIII Korps on board, except for one brigade of the VII Korps, which was skirmishing the French off the south end of the board.  Most of the IX Korps was on and the advanced guard of the Guard Korps.  See the attached pictures for initial setup.
In the pictures you will notice a clock in the background; that indicates the game turn, not photos of some of the Prussians commanders.
The pictures are labeled by order and have descriptions included to identify the action.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/kiptrexel/media/Gravelotte%20-%20St%20Privat%20Day%20of%20Battle/E_zpsd0mqn176.jpg.html

I have also attached pictures without descriptions taken by my son (who played General Ladmirault, 4th Corps).

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/kiptrexel/library/Gravelotte%20-%20St%20Privat%20Day%20of%20Battle/Gravelotte%20-%20St%20Privat%20Chad%20pictures

Techno

Excellent !!

Looks absolutely great.  8)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Superb looking game!
Well I think I would call that a French win at he moment (St Privat, Ammenville and the Mosco heights are still in French hands, St Marie Eglise is still contested), which means the French will lose the battle as they retreat!
Looks like Von Steinmetz hasn't gone off the rails either!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kipt

Yes a French win and yes IF they retired they would lose. However the French commander had no intention of retiring. The Imperial Guard had deployed and was ready to rock and roll (of course into Prussian guns so who knows)?

Steinmetz did a good job of being Steinmetz, following his secret instructions. They whole time complaining about the strong French position.

Chris Pringle

kipt

Briefing at 9:00, started pushing troops at 10:00, hour break for lunch and stopped at 4:00. Seven out of nine game turns played.

I think Snappy Nappy and your BBB amustbe similar.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: kipt on 22 February 2017, 09:50:17 PM
Briefing at 9:00, started pushing troops at 10:00, hour break for lunch and stopped at 4:00. Seven out of nine game turns played.

I think Snappy Nappy and your BBB amustbe similar.

Similar in ambition, maybe, but BBB would struggle to entertain your 14 players for so long with a single game. As it happens, Gravelotte was one of the games on offer at last weekend's BBB Bash Day. I think four players (three virtual BBB novices) fought through the whole battle in a four-hour afternoon session including set-up and take-down. It was done as a mini-campaign with Mars-la-Tour, which they'd fought in the morning.

Congratulations on a magnificent game!
Chris

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Le Manchou

Great terrain, miniatures and report!
Congratulations!
Si vis pacem, para bellum