Gravelotte St Privat, 1870, coming soon

Started by kipt, 24 January 2017, 05:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

GRAVELOTTE ST PRIVAT

Coming soon, the FPW Battle of Gravelotte St Privat.  The Northern California Gentlemen's Gourmet Wargaming Society will be playing this game on February 18th.  We will have 11 to 13 players and all the troops from both sides represented.  This is another tactical game using my adaptation of "Snappy Nappy" by Russ Lockwood.  My title is "Sappy Nappy" (hopefully for obvious reasons).  We will (or they will, I will again umpire) play on a 6' by 12' table using my base terrain boards and Geo Hex.

To make the terrain as close as possible with Geo Hex, I photocopied Bruce Weigel's map in his "1870" rules and enlarged it.  After scaling, I gridding it off in one foot squares.  I made a set of cardboard pieces at that scale to match the Geo Hex pieces (12" hexes for the solid pieces, so it would fit in the 12" square).  I have one cardboard piece per Geo Hex piece.  Then I colored in each level (contour) on the map on separate sheets.  After looking at the amount of terrain, I decided that level 4 would be my base terrain, and Geo Hex used for levels 5, 6 and 7.  (The cardboard pieces are rough approximations of the full size Geo Hex pieces).

I toyed with getting foam and exactly doing the terrain, but lack of time (and a place to store it) kept me using the Geo hex.

I have attached pictures of the 3 levels showing the scaled Geo Hex pieces.  I believe I have enough to do the terrain as depicted.  I will take pictures of the terrain as it is set up on the table and post them later, most likely before the game as I have given myself a week to get it right.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/kiptrexel/media/Gravelotte%20St%20Privat/Gravlotte%20level%207_zpsbsmksvd3.jpg.html.

And after the battle, I will post a report and pictures.

paulr

Looking forward to seeing this come together  :)

That is certainly a lot of Geohex :o
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: paulr on 24 January 2017, 05:27:06 AM
Looking forward to seeing this come together  :)

Same here !  :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You're going to have a lot of fun wityn that, look forwards to seeing it.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Leman

As above. Coincidentally the BBB Bashday will also be taking place on Feb.18th.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kipt

Here is the next installment - setting up the table.

GRAVELOTTE ST PRIVAT
Table Set up

On February 11th my friend Didier and I set up the game board.  See the attached pictures (numbered for sequencing) for the construction thereof.

During this week I have been doing some small adjustments, naming villages, setting up rosters and gathering the supplied for the table.

Game day is February 18th.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/kiptrexel/library/Gravelotte%20St%20Privat%20table%20set%20up

d_Guy

Another quite amazing setup. Look forward to the battle report(s).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Shedman

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

It always gladdens my heart to see real effort being put into crerating terrain - must be the geographer in m
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Excuse my ignorance of the battle, is the white 'fluffy' stuff fog?

I suspect we have all seen a similar look on our wife/significant others face ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Great looking setup - really looks like real terrain, with the rolling hills and valleys.

Quote from: paulr on 16 February 2017, 06:31:34 PM
Excuse my ignorance of the battle, is the white 'fluffy' stuff fog?

I wondered the same - it is mentioned in one of the captions - it represents haze/fog and limits visibility into it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

cameronian

Nice board. The Prussian right flank artillery shouldn't be able to hit Frossard so your infantry are going to have to do the heavy lifting there.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Only the 6# guns will reach (barely) if they displace forward.