Proxy for WW1 Belgian Chasseur a Cheval

Started by TinyTinTroops, 21 January 2017, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinyTinTroops

Hi Folks

I'm looking for the best proxy for the above that I can find in existing ranges.

I'm prepared to accept 'close but not perfect', even just 'close' if that is the best I can get.

They have a tallish kepi and a jacket that is longer than the traditional close-fitting light cavalry jacket and don't wear a waist sash. They also have trousers tucked into boots and don't have a pelisse over their shoulder.

I'm considering the following but can't find clear pictures of any of them ....

FPW4 Chasseur d'Afrique (do they have a sash ?) - baggy trousers may be an issue here too
FPW7 Chasseur a Cheval - found three pictures of what the 'real' ones look like - all different so no idea what these look like
FPW34 - Chasseur in Kabuze (can't find what a kabuze is)
D4 1866 Danish Light Cavalry - do they have a pelisse over the shoulder ?
ACW 27 or 28 - which one has a kepi ?

Also any pictures for the d/m cav in kepi ACW29 ?

If you can help with pictures or descriptions or tell me what you used I'd be very grateful.

Tony of TTT

Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello TTT

Some are shown here. http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6846.0 and one of the posts talks about 1860's Italian light cavalry as proxies for Belgian CaC. Can't find pictures of those though. Range is due to be revamped too.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Leman

I will be using the current Italian light cavalry as Belgian Chasseurs. The difficulty will arise when they dismountl
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

TinyTinTroops

Thanks so far folks

Had no images of what the Italian 1869 cavalry look like so didn't consider those. Anybody know of any of the 'real' ones or the figures ?

Had though of using ACW4 as d/m (remove the bayonets) - far from perfect but probably better than ACW29 with such tiny weapons.

Forgot the new ACW range had pictures - they do seem a fair substitute now that I see them. Can't recall if some CaC carried lances or not.

Tony of TTT

Leman

A kabuze was a neck warmer taken from German prisoners by the French in 1870-71. The French chasseur a cheval of 1870 looked very like an old style hussar in short, tight, frogged jacket and woollen busby style headgear. The FPW34 figure is an infantry chasseur a pied. The Danish cavalryman does indeed wear a pelisse so also unsuitable.   

Leman

TinyTinTroops

Thanks for that.

The epaulettes & cross-belt look to be the problems with these - pity as the shako/kepi is about right.

Tony of TTT

Leman

It's amazing what you can achieve with a needle file.

TinyTinTroops

Thanks for the help folks.

In the end I have decided I can't do them to my satisfaction so I'll wait for the dismounted Ulhans and do a couple of regiments of lancers once they come out. Historically it was the Chasseurs that appear in the scenario I wanted to do but you can't always have what you want so Lancers will have to do.

I could manage with the mounted - either the FPW Chasseur d'Afrique or the Union Cavalry would be close enough for me - a fair way from perfect but usable. It was the dismounted I couldn't find. The d/m cavalry have a titchy popgun and a close inspection of the firing infantry reveals that at least some of them have packs so no use.

Tony of TTT

Duke Speedy of Leighton

What about dismounted Plains Wars or ACW Union cavalry?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

TinyTinTroops

The d/m ACW cavalry have a tiny Springfield carbine whereas the Belgian Chasseurs were armed with a full-sized rifle. To me they just don't look right.

The Plains wars range is all Indians, no US cavalry.

I've had to go with 'not very good' for most of the Belgians and I may revive the idea later using some of the infantry figures (which are in some very strange uniforms for 1914). It isn't a critical purchase as I have more than enough early WW1 stuff already - just need to finish re-working the rules I'll use.

Tony of TTT

Leman

Should have gone to Kallistra - they have a lovely range of mounted and dismounted chasseurs.

The PD dismounted Union cavalry would work, but again you have to be prepared to remove the sabre and use greenstuff or such like to raise the kepi to a shako.

TinyTinTroops

Kallistra figures are very good, I've painted some French and Germans for a mate, but they are not 10mm. In fact they are almost the same size as my Peter Laing 15mm. They take twice as long to paint too !

They incorrectly name the Chasseurs as Dragoons, have the wrong Field gun for the start of the war and, like Pendraken, have a late 1914 uniform, rather than the correct one for August. Doesn't seem that anyone can get the Belgians right !!!

Tony

Leman

Van Dyck can because they are Belgian, but unfortunately they are very slow at producing complete ranges (make PD look as though they are on speed). Irregular are not bad, although they have been modelled on the incorrect painting in the Osprey book, showing a tent strapped to the backpack. Nevertheless they are 10mm and in the greatcoat and shako - but alas no chasseurs or carabinieri but they do have dog pulled machine guns.. The most comprehensive August 1914 range is Peter Pig's in 15mm. Needless to say these are the figures I use for my company level games.