Pikemans Lament Basing

Started by d_Guy, 17 January 2017, 03:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Yes - intentional left the apostrophe out of the title.  :)

The eVersion of "Pikemen's Lament" will be released January 24.
I'm curious if those of you who plan to use it will rebase to the "1,2,3" style described by the co-designer here:

http://dalauppror.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/18-days-to-release-123-basing.html

I have lots of individual 25/28 figures so I plan to try his scheme.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

Back in the days when I played games with figure removal I did this a lot. It can be a pain if the rules require you to be able to represent specific formations but it makes setting out, moving and packing up figures much quicker.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

I can see the attraction, but it just looks weird to my eyes!

Mind, I'd done similar with square bases for units before, so it'll work, I think it's just a perception thing with the round bases...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Yeah, it looks weird to me too! Since I won't be basing my "serious" stuff (10mm) and only my totally fun stuff (dust collecting 25/28mm) I'm going to give it a try and see if it looks better in person.

steve_holmes_11

I've yet to dive into the Lion Rampant family of rules.
The 3, 2, 1 basing might work really well with 10mm figures, but bear with me...

Single based 10mm might work out too fiddly, so how about doubling up for a 6, 4, 2 basing system.

I also think 4s and 6s look slightly odd with circular bases.
A combinations of small circles and larger pill or lozenge bases might work better.
I'm sure I'll end up sketching bases on the back of an envelope before I finally decide.

toxicpixie

Having got some Aztecs for Lion Rampant I'm now thinking I might do rounds. Or possibly 20mm  squares as that would sabot better for other games :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

The round basing is very clever, for 10mm I would add multiple figures to the bases and not worry too much about the exact figure count / ratio, I would use the base sizes to represent 1, 2 or 3 wounds.

The problem with the round basing is that the figures aren't really usable for other systems.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Yes, that's mainly what mitigates against rounds for me - I have a half soaked idea to use them for Art de la Guerre as well! but I could use 20mm rounds or even 15mm and still sabot them, I guess. It's a bit more awkward but not crippling...

d_Guy

I ended up NOT liking the 1-2-3 basing for my 25/28s, went back to individual bases for greater flexibility.

Fred, you could use them with area-based movement rules like For King and Parliament or Regiment of Foot, v2 but agree otherwise.