MG armed French FT-17

Started by Terry37, 17 January 2017, 04:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

After making a decision to go with a more avant guard look to my Weird WWI American army that I've been working on, and realizing that American FT-17s had the card markings on the turret as opposed to the rear hull sides as the French did, and absolutely loving this scheme I decided to create it for my army. My first blush thought when I found this scheme was that it was a French mid 30's scheme, and it does bear some resemblance - except that  by that time those FT-17s still in active service had a unique, usually three color, wide band horizontal striped scheme. But, the Americans adopted schemes in the early 20's that included some of these color shades. Therefore since my army based on the book "By the Blood of Heroes"  which takes place in 1921, it seemed a perfect fit.

Looks to be a six color scheme edged black.

So today I converted one of Leon's FT-17 models to be armed with the machine gun instead of the 37 MM cannon. I will be painting it in this scheme, and will some how figure out how to do the heart in a diamond marking for the turret - the diamond is easy enough, it's the heart that will be the challenge. I was hoping the one I am copying would have been an American produced FT-17, but it is not, being a French made model. Still will be another very colorful addition to the army.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Not my area but did see one at the AAF museum a while back. It was not in dazzle camouflage, rather monochromatic really. :)
Apparently this type of camouflage was thought to be effective?

It will look great on a wargame table, effective or not.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

All I'm going to say is that if you look at armies with very camouflaged tanks in WWII (French, Italian, Japanese) and those that were fairly plain (UK, US, USSR) we can see who the winners are.

When did the Germans start to lose? 1943 when they switched to a 3 part camo scheme.

Coincidence? I think not.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

For the heart I suggest you start with two small circles with the circumference touching, then paint a v underneath touching the two outer sides of the circles, then fill it in
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Looking forward to seeing the great work
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

Thought I would share a picture of the model to give an idea of how the conversion part turned out. It's primed and ready to paint, which I plan to start today.

More to follow,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

JeffNNN

Quote from: fsn on 17 January 2017, 07:58:11 AM
All I'm going to say is that if you look at armies with very camouflaged tanks in WWII (French, Italian, Japanese) and those that were fairly plain (UK, US, USSR) we can see who the winners are.

When did the Germans start to lose? 1943 when they switched to a 3 part camo scheme.

Coincidence? I think not.
But in the earlier period the Brits were camouflaged. I'm inclined to think a key factor for the Germans changing was their loss of air superiority, that's when you really need to hide.

fsn

Quote from: JeffNNN on 18 January 2017, 06:34:17 PM
But in the earlier period the Brits were camouflaged.
And when they were camouflaged ... they lost.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Techno

Looking forward to seeing it progress, Terry.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

German camouflage and losses started around the same time as this gem, which I got from a German who'd been in armoured units during WW2, came into circulation:-

"If it shows up blue, it's British. If it shows up white, it's American. If it doesn't show up at all it's the Luftwaffe!"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

19 January 2017, 07:57:29 AM #10 Last Edit: 19 January 2017, 07:59:44 AM by fsn
From Normandy "When the RAF turn up, the Germans duck. When the Luftwaffe turns uo, the allies duck. When the USAAF turns up everybody ducks."

For clarity, I think that technology, tactics and industrial muscle have far more to do with determining the overall result of armoured warfare than the pretty camouflage schemes or ... dare I say it ... tactical air power.

And bless you Techno for trying to re-rail this thread.

Why are threads "derailed". Why aren't they "dethreaded" or "dis-needled" or "mis-hemmed"?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Perhaps the threads are training?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Quote from: mad lemmey on 19 January 2017, 09:12:13 AM
Perhaps the threads are training?

No, the German tanks are training, because they break to quickly on road marches!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Quote from: toxicpixie on 19 January 2017, 10:01:35 AM
No, the German tanks are training, because they break to quickly on road marches!

Similar to low-end BMW's?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

toxicpixie

Plus ca change :D

I doubt they were concerned with fiddling emissions tests, mind :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting