More Jacobites for Montrose!

Started by mollinary, 16 January 2017, 08:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Very effective and they look cool in their sabot bases.

Luddite

Excellent looking figures there sir!

"And tell me will we never hear the end
Of puir bluidy Charlie at Culloden yet again?
Though he ran like a rabbit down the glen
Leavin better folk than him to be butchered
Or are you sittin in your Council house, dreamin o your clan?
Waiting for the Jacobites to come and free the land?
Try going down the broo with your claymore in your hand
And count all the Princes in the queue!"

- Brian McNeill
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

mollinary

Quote from: d_Guy on 17 January 2017, 02:48:50 PM) so for what it is worth - the flags of the Irish Brigade (with the possible exception of the one Cameronian mentions, OK and maybe one other, are all conjectured). It's just that most gamers seem to use the flags show.

As to dress, it's not clear if most members of the IB were battle-hardened veterans from Flanders, raw Irish recruits (Antrim mainly), men of the isles, etc or, most likely, all the above. This bespeaks a wide variety of dress (and that only when they first  landed in Scotland). The were redressed multiple time (as Mollnary suggests) - so who knows. It is not even clear if they had pikes (many arguements pro and con) although they could have picked them up after every battle they fought.  :)

Thanks for all this, it is good to have support for my ex post facto rationalisations from a real expert!  In the end, I wasn't willing to let lack of firm info or tailored figures to deprive me of the fun of creating Montrose's army.  As for Cam's flag, I think he is referring to the ones carried by the Wild Geese regiments in French service after the Glorious Revolution! 

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

d_Guy

We have a saying here, an expert is anyone forty miles from home - in that respect.... :D
I have a vague recollection that the Red Cross flag was associated with MacColla but could easily be wrong.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Sandinista

Hi Mollinary

I checked the book that I used to base the Highlanders standards upon that Leon sells. It was from an article in Vol. XXII/II of P&SS's Arquebusier magazine under Notes and Queries on p.25. The author (unnamed so I am guessing Stephen Ede-Borrett - the then editor) states that the 17th century was a time of change, with the square banner becoming more common and gaining predominance over the standards by the time of the 18th century rebellions.

So either design seems to be equally valid.

Cheers
Ian

Roy

:-bd

lovely set of pictures (of lovely looking figures, on a lovely look table, all looking lovely).
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

mollinary

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 18 January 2017, 11:46:04 AM
:-bd

lovely set of pictures (of lovely looking figures, on a lovely look table, all looking lovely).

Lovely!   :D

Mollinary

mollinary

Quote from: Sandinista on 18 January 2017, 10:41:42 AM
Hi Mollinary

I checked the book that I used to base the Highlanders standards upon that Leon sells. It was from an article in Vol. XXII/II of P&SS's Arquebusier magazine under Notes and Queries on p.25. The author (unnamed so I am guessing Stephen Ede-Borrett - the then editor) states that the 17th century was a time of change, with the square banner becoming more common and gaining predominance over the standards by the time of the 18th century rebellions.

So either design seems to be equally valid.

Cheers
Ian

Thanks Ian.  At least no changes necessary!

Mollinary

jean1951

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I have started purchasing some LOA minatures.  I think the work in the miniatures to be 1st class.  I was wondering if I could ask your help.  I have one question.  What size are your bases?

Best regards,

Jean

jambo1

Lovely looking units, they really are top notch. Like the basing, the Basetex works really well. :)

mollinary

Hi Jean, and welcome.  You have made a great choice with the LoA range, they are beautiful figures!    The bases are simply  steel 1 1/2 inches square. I then use three of them to make a unit. For a period as disorganised as the English Civil War this allows me to use the base to creat different units, so that musket basss can be combined to make a commanded shot unit, or I can create an all pike unit easily.   As I love big games, I use movement trays, or sabots, from Warbases, as it makes it so much quicker to move large numbers of units.  The sabot has an interior space of 4 1/2 inches by 1  1/2 inches, with a couple of spare millimetres on each edge to allow for variations in base size. The rim is 5mm wide all round, which allows me to add a small paper slip on the rear edge with key info about the unit on it.
Warbases are really helpful, and have made sabots of a wide variety of dimensions for me to fit my basing for different rules systems.
Hope this helps,

Mollinary

jean1951

Quote from: mollinary on 31 January 2017, 09:17:29 AM
Hi Jean, and welcome.  You have made a great choice with the LoA range, they are beautiful figures!    The bases are simply  steel 1 1/2 inches square. I then use three of them to make a unit. For a period as disorganised as the English Civil War this allows me to use the base to creat different units, so that musket basss can be combined to make a commanded shot unit, or I can create an all pike unit easily.   As I love big games, I use movement trays, or sabots, from Warbases, as it makes it so much quicker to move large numbers of units.  The sabot has an interior space of 4 1/2 inches by 1  1/2 inches, with a couple of spare millimetres on each edge to allow for variations in base size. The rim is 5mm wide all round, which allows me to add a small paper slip on the rear edge with key info about the unit on it.
Warbases are really helpful, and have made sabots of a wide variety of dimensions for me to fit my basing for different rules systems.
Hope this helps,

Mollinary

Thank you for the reply I shall look into the base sizes and material.

Best regards,
Jean

DFlynSqrl

These look lovely.  I really like the basing.  That green to yellow grass is really pleasing to my eyes.

mollinary

Quote from: DFlynSqrl on 31 January 2017, 02:40:57 PM
These look lovely.  I really like the basing.  That green to yellow grass is really pleasing to my eyes.

Thanks DFS!  Although I always apologise for these, as it is a very '90s' way of basing, and a bit of a pain to do, like you I do find the final effect quite pleasing. It works particularly well, if the uniforms are a bit dull, in brightening  the overall look of the unit.

Mollinary