Island Hopping

Started by bigjackmac, 16 January 2017, 04:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

If anyone did the right figures in 10mm I would be more than tempted  ;)

Americans in 'battle bowlers' with M1 Garand and Filipinos with Springfields...

I would love to do the 26th Cavalry Regiment (Philippine Scouts), the last 'US' Cavalry unit to have conducted a mounted charge in combat
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

That is a really good set-up Jack!
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

bigjackmac

Paul - Yeah, I ended up going 15mm because it was easier to find figures.

Matt - Thanks man.

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

23 January 2017, 05:46:30 PM #18 Last Edit: 23 January 2017, 05:51:19 PM by bigjackmac
All,

It's 2130 on 20 December 1941, and following its ass-whoopin' at Horseshoe Ridge, 1st Platoon is moving Back up the slopes under the cover of darkness to recover its casualties.

Sgt Carlson: "Alright, here's what we're gonna do.  We're gonna wait 'til it's nice and dark, then we're gonna go get our men.  We'll set the gun and Cpl Duncan's mortar into the same exact positions, and I'll take 2nd Squad up the ridge.  1st Squad stands by down below, just in case.  We go up, grab our guys, then get the hell outta dodge.  If any shootin' starts, I want the mortar and MG to open up.  I want a wall of fire between the eastern side of the ridge and the west, keep the Japs from getting at us."

With that, the Marines of 1st Platoon moved into their start positions, ready to jump off.

The full table is still set up, but this is the contested area we'll be dealing with for this fight, just the eastern slope of Horseshoe Ridge.  North is to top right, and you can see the Marine casualties lying in the open at center top left.  It's night time, but apparently the moon is pretty bright ;)

The Marines: the actual fighting force will the Platoon Sergeant (bottom center), Sgt Carlson, and the six Marines of 2nd Squad (right).  As a figure, Sgt Carlson is carrying a .45-caliber pistol, but for the game he's carrying a Tommy Gun (I have plenty of Tommy Gun figures, I just wanted his pose to stand out).

The MG and mortar teams are for decoration, scenario fodder.  The Marine fighting force is just seven men with Tommy Guns, a BAR, and Springfield 03s.

The Marines move up the slopes to recover their fallen buddies, but as they do, a Japanese sentry spots Sgt Carlson and fires.  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-philippines-fight-3.html

The remains of 1st Platoon falls back to regroup, and they make contact with higher headquarters.  Major Ford, their Company Commander orders them return and take Horseshoe Ridge!  While a few of the wounded have been able to return to the line, the Major knows 1st Platoon is still pretty understrength, so he lets them borrow an M-3 Stuart of the 194th Tank Battalion, an Army National Guard unit.

Captain Moon saw to it that his men got plenty to eat and drink, and plenty of rest.  Then they mounted up on the morning of 24 Dec 41 and began making their way back to Horseshoe Ridge for our next fight, which I'll post in a couple days.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

lowlylowlycook

Really loving the photography.   

bigjackmac

Thanks guys, and yeah, the big, cool rug really makes it fun to take and post closeups ;)

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Ooer !

Missed this one yesterday.
Nice one Jack.

Cheers - Phil

bigjackmac

bigjackmac

All,

It's 1530 on 24 December 1941, and 1st Platoon is tasked with taking Horseshoe Ridge, again.  The good news is that the platoon has gotten plenty of water and some hot chow, and five of their men have recuperated well enough from their injuries to rejoin the unit.  The bad news is they're heading back to Horseshoe Ridge, where twice they've battled the Japanese, taking heavy casualties.

Sgt Carlson: "Horseshoe Ridge again, eh Sir?"  "Yes Cody, Horseshoe Ridge.  Ours is not to reason why, young man," Capt Moon said with a smile.

"Christmas Eve, eh Sir?"  "Aye.  It will be all the merrier when we're sitting atop Horseshoe Ridge, manning our machine guns, with visions of sugarplums dancing in our heads," the Captain laughed.  "We'd best get to work."

Overview, north is to top left, the entirety of Horseshoe Ridge is displayed, the mass at center, running west (bottom left) to east (top right).  The previous two fights took part on the eastern end of Horseshoe Ridge, at top right.  The Platoon linked up with the Company CP off camera to bottom center several miles, and now is making a push to take the ridge again.  The Marines will enter from the west, the Japanese will be on and around the ridge.  The table is, once again, 6' x 4's, and my son and I are playing co-op as the Marines against the Japanese in 15mm, using Ivan Sorensen's rules, "No End In Sight."

The Marine 1st Platoon, reorganized again: Platoon Commander, Platoon Sergeant, two-man M-1917 water-cooled machine gun team, three-man 60mm mortar team, an M-3 Stuart of the Army National Guard's 194th Tank Battalion, and two seven-man rifle squads.  The Company Commander, Major Ford, promised help after he tracked down the rest of the platoons.  Guess he hasn't found them yet...

Mortar rounds (blue beads) are targeted all around the Japanese howitzer (bottom left), which is engaging the US tank (top center left), which has just crested the west end of Horseshoe Ridge.

A Japanese Lieutenant leads a Banzai charge straight into US guns.  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-philippines-fight-4.html

Cut off by a second Japanese landing at Lamon Bay in southern Luzon, Capt Moon and Sgt Carlson reorganized the platoon, working in replacements from 3rd and 4th Platoons, then sited them in a 360 degree perimeter atop Horseshoe Ridge, and waited for the Japanese counterattack.  It came the following night, Christmas.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Very good, Jack !

Cheers - Phil

bigjackmac

bigjackmac

All,

It's 2245 on 25 December 1941, and 1st Platoon is finally in possession of Horseshoe Ridge, but for how long is anyone's guess.  Yesterday afternoon Captain Moon led 1st Platoon, with a big assist from a National Guard M-3 Stuart, in a successful assault to take Horseshoe Ridge.  Once the Japanese were evicted, Capt Moon and Sgt Carlson consolidated into a small, 360 degree perimeter.  But later that evening Major Ford, their Company Commander, came up, with good news and bad news.  The good news was that 3rd and 4th Platoons were stood down, and their men were fed into 1st and 2nd Platoons to bring them back up to strength.  With that, 1st Platoon was ordered to hold the entirety of Horseshoe Ridge.  The bad news was that General Parker, the US South Luzon Force commander, needed his tank back.  Also, Major Ford was taking 2nd Platoon and heading west, assuming a defensive position on a small hill overlooking a bridge, with the understanding that the Marines were not likely going to be able to hold for long, and would soon need to retreat to the west, making their way to Cavite and/ore Manila, to link-up with the rest of the South Luzon force and maybe even the rest of the US troops on Luzon, now withdrawing into the Bataan Peninsula.

With that, you need to understand we're reaching a dark time in the campaign: in real life, the main US force on Luzon is about to voluntarily bottle itself up in the Bataan Peninsula, where it will put up a brave and dogged defense, but ultimately will fall back until there's no more room to fall back, then capitulate.  Immediately following that, the Japanese will pound McArthur's headquarters, the island fortress of Corregidor (across from the Bataan Peninsula, in Manila Bay), then launch an amphibious assault that, for all intents and purposes, ended the US resistance in the Philippines in April 1942.

So, the 1st Platoon is but a microcosm of this overall situation.  They have taken Horseshoe Ridge and been reconstituted, victories at the tactical level.  But the overall situation is that their time in the Philippines is coming to a violent close.  While they have a full complement of troops, the food, ammo, and medical supplies they have on hand is all they'll ever have; the platoon is severely outnumbered, surrounded, and cut-off.  The only reason they've even lasted this long is because the Japanese have, in the overall scheme of things, been ignoring them, rushing past them from, east to west, to capture Manila.

The time is drawing near where the Platoon will cease to be a coherent fighting force, and more a band of fugitives searching for a means to escape the Philippines.

Overview, north is to top left, the entirety of Horseshoe Ridge is displayed, the mass at center, running west (bottom left) to east (top right).  The previous three fights took part on the eastern end of Horseshoe Ridge, at top right, and with the Platoon assaulting the west end of the ridge, at center.  The Platoon linked up with the Company CP off camera to bottom center several miles, then came back and finally took the ridge.  The Marines, as per their orders (and due to the uncertain disposition of the enemy) are occupying the ridge in its entirety, in a 360 degree perimeter, though it is not a continuous line as they don't have enough troops.  The Japanese will be attacking from all points of the compass.  The table is, once again, 6' x 4's, and my son and I are playing co-op as the Marines against the Japanese in 15mm, using Ivan Sorensen's rules, "No End In Sight."

Overview of the table, with all forces placed on the table.  The Marines are on the ridge at center, and everything on the perimeter of the table is Japanese.  The Marine position is simple: 1st Squad is at the west end of the ridge (center left, fanned out just below the clump of trees at center).  2nd Squad is in the center, facing north (top), sitting between the two clumps of trees.  They have the 60mm mortar team sited in right behind them.  The Command Post (Capt Moon, Sgt Carlson, and the sniper) are just to their right (just left of the third clump of trees, at center right top).  3rd Squad is on the east end of the ridge, just on the other side of the clump of trees from the CP, facing east (right).  Lastly, the MG team is just right of 3rd Squad, on the finger jutting out to the south (center top right).

In the west, the blinds have been cooperative with the Japanese, allowing them to mass a significant force, with support.  They have three rifle squads (bottom left, far left, and just to the right of the village at top left), their 70mm Howitzer (top left), and a sniper (on the left side of the tree clump at top center).  They are supported at bottom center and far right, by two MG teams, a Lieutenant, and another sniper.

They also have a decently powerful supplementary attack force on the top right (northeast) corner of the table (top center right), where they have a rifle squad, an officer, an MG team, and a Type 95 tank!

If you haven't figure it out yet, the Japanese are serious about taking Horseshoe Ridge ;)  The Marines either need to hold the ridge, or escape the ridge.

At the east end of the ridge, the Japanese tank (center) pounds 3rd Squad (top left), while a Type 92 machine gun (far right) lays into 2nd Squad (top center).

Looking from east to west, the Marine MG team bottom center finds itself with no targets, but 1st Squad is being overrun in the west (top center), so they take up a supplemental position, facing about to support 1st Squad.  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-philippines-fight-5.html

I will say that the Marines still have some semblance of a platoon left, and are moving southeast (away from the Japanese thrust to the northwest), trying to find a way out of the Philippines.  But a Japanese patrol stands between the Marines and their means of escape, so stay tuned.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Wow! Heck of a report boss!