Island Hopping

Started by bigjackmac, 16 January 2017, 04:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

We're here, it's finally begun, my 15mm campaign to follow a platoon of Marines through WWII in the Pacific, 1941 to 1945, from the Philippines to Okinawa.  I'm playing with toys from Eureka and Peter Pig, using Ivan Sorensen's "No End In Sight" ruleset (modified a bit), with some campaign help/structure from Joe Legan's "Platoon Forward."

Overview of table, north is to top left, with the village of Dadangan at top right.  It's 0830 on 13 Dec 1941, and Captain Moon's 1st Platoon enters the table at bottom center left, via the dirt road, moving east towards the Filipino village.  The ridge on the left is Hill 100, the knob at top right is Hill 125.  Mostly open grasslands, with some coconut palms scattered here and there.

Looking east from the Marine start point, you can see the ridge of Hill 100 at top left, and Hill 125 at top center right.

The opposing forces, with Japanese on left and Marines on right.  The entire US force shown (three rifle squads, a sniper, a .30 cal MG team, a 60mm mortar team, and a Platoon Commander and Platoon Sergeant) will be on the table.  The Japanese will be on 'blinds' in accordance with Joe Legan's "Platoon Forward," so I don't have any idea what's going to show up.

A Japanese Type 92 machine gun fires on 1st Squad.

A banzai charge straight at the US M-1917 machine gun, threatening the right flank.

To see the campaign plan concept, there's a blogpost here:
http://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/2017/01/another-new-blog-plan.html

To see the rest of this battle report, there's a blogpost here:
http://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-philippines-fight-1.html

What a fight!  I think the rules, coupled with the blinds from Platoon Forward, worked like a champ, making things VERY tense.  Hell, the boy was sure we were going to lose when the Japanese 3rd Squad was on the verge of breaking through on our right flank.  Casualties were rougher than I expected; some of that is my fault as I didn't play with the idea of 'breaking/pressure,' but I do recall Ivan saying you wouldn't see as many casualties in these rules ;)  For all intents and purposes, the Japanese lost a full platoon of infantry, and the Marines didn't fare much better.

The next fight will be 1st Platoon assaulting 'Horseshoe Ridge,' coming soon!

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

"Toys", Sir?  "Toys"?

Would you refer to the finely sculpted and beautiful works of art produced by the Dark Lord and his Ebon Hordes as "toys"?

No Sir. "Figures"or "miniatures", Sir, but never "toys".  :P

Sounds fun. I have some proper Pacific figures (Pendraken) awaiting my wrists getting better. Perhaps this weekend. Having said that, my layout won't be that canny.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 16 January 2017, 04:45:03 PM
That's an epic report!

I'm with Will om that !!!! :o :o :o

Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

Table looks cracking - I'll have a proper read of the batrep tomorrow on works time :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

That is a very good looking table!!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Seconded :-bd =D> :-bd

Is the dirt road shaved out of the 'fleece'?
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Just read batrep. Excellent stuff!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Haven't got to the batrep yet but the pictures are extraordinary (as usually). I very much like the terrain setup - wonderful use of materials!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

bigjackmac

Wow, I'm flattered, thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate the kind words.  The 2nd batrep should be up on Wednesday or Thursday.

Paul - the roads are cut into the fabric; look great, but always present and can't be moved :(

V/R,
Jack

lowlylowlycook

The minis and the terrain are all first rate.

That model eye's view of the battlefield is spectacular.

bigjackmac

bigjackmac

All,

It's 0930 on 20 December 1941 and another fight is brewing for the Marines of 1st Platoon.  After the fight in Dadangan on 13 December, the platoon has been on a series of marches to shore up supply lines, avoid being cut off, avoid Japanese patrols, then find and occupy a defensible position.  The platoon has reached its assigned defensive position, what they're calling "Horseshoe Ridge," but as the platoon makes its approach from the east, they find it's actually occupied.  The Japanese are behind them!  Captain Moon and Sgt Carlson call a halt, then come up with a quick plan of attack.  Sgt Carlson will take 1st Squad and move left, take up supporting positions with the MG team and mortar team, while the Captain takes 2nd and 3rd Squads right, with 3rd Squad being the assault element to take the east end of Horseshoe Ridge.  Ready, break!

Overview of map, north is to top right.   Horseshoe Ridge is at top center/top left, and the Marines are advancing from the east (right).  Once again the table is 6' x 4', and my boy and are playing co-op against the Japanese in 15mm using Ivan's rules, "No End In Sight," and running the Japanese on blinds as per Joe's "Platoon Forward."

The Marine Platoon.  Or what's left of it.

The Japanese will be on 'blinds', so I don't have any idea what's going to show up.  But I know what they have available: four 9-man rifle squads (each has an LMG and a knee mortar), three 7.7mm Type 92 machine gun teams, a 70mm howitzer, two snipers, two officers (complete with Samurai swords), and a Type 95 tank.  Some, none, any, or all could show up on the table, I have no idea.

Japanese 'knee mortars' bracket the US M-1917 machine gun team (bottom left), but it and the 60mm mortar team pound  Horseshoe Ridge (top right).

As Captain Moon leads 3rd Squad to the crest of the ridge. Will the Marines take Horseshoe Ridge?  Check the blog to find out:
http://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-philippines-fight-2.html

Next fight, coming right up.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

That's a VERY nice looking table and figures Jack  8)

Always love reading your AAR's etc.

Marines in the Philippines - are you tempted PaulR?  ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.