American Head Sprues in M-1 Helmets

Started by Mako, 16 January 2017, 03:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

16 January 2017, 03:05:14 PM Last Edit: 16 January 2017, 03:50:37 PM by Mako
I shudder to even consider this in such a small scale, but I don't currently see any better way around it, since I require a number of different troops with various weapons, in multiple poses.

Therefore, I'd like to see an American Head Sprue pack, with the guys wearing plain old M-1 helmets, for conversion purposes.  They should have necks, and preferably, thin spikes for fitting into drilled out holes for a more secure, and firm fit.

I plan to snip the head off of some figures, and to then drill a very small hole with a pin vise in which to insert the new heads, which have the proper, M-1 helmets, with a dab of glue.  Heads can be set up facing forward, as is usual, or turned to the sides a bit for a little variety as well.

Currently, this is about the only way in which I can realistically see creating a decent force of Cold War West German and Danish infantry, and no doubt, the M-1 helmets which were rather ubiquitous after the end of WWII, can be used for many other troops around the globe as well.  I need them for the Falklands era British troops with Carl Gustavs, and LAWs, amongst others, in order to convert them to proper Cold War Danish troops, since those aren't available for the Argentine force, which I plan to use for very early West Germans, as well as troops from Denmark.

The head sprues will also come in handy for converting WWII US Marine bazookamen wearing caps into proper WWII, and Cold War soldiers for the Americans, West Germans, and Danes as well.  American helmets on WWII British troops for the very early Cold War Danes, and their Home Guard troops.

They might also be useful for converting the WWII MG42 tripod firing team into West Germans and/or Danes with the American helmets as well, since I suspect in this scale, with a different paint job, their uniforms will work for the Cold War period too.  Might have to file off the gas mask canisters if the MG troops are wearing those.

Anyway, if you agree with these, please post here to let Leon and others know, since the more interest there is the more likely they'll be produced sooner, rather than later.

Leon

I've popped this in the other thread but I'll put it here as well:

I think separate heads or weapons isn't something we'd be looking to do any time soon.  As Phil has said they can be a pain to sculpt/mould/cast properly especially with a small pin in the base of them, as the metal wouldn't flow up that very well.  You'd probably have to make the pin much thicker for casting, then the customer would have to cut that off, drill a hole in the head and insert a fresh pin in it's place.  That's a lot of work and effort involved, and not that much easier than chopping the head off an existing figure really.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Mako

I can do without the pins, if that helps.

Gandalf

Would it not be easier for you to cut the heads off some of the existing WWII American figures in M1 helmets to provide you with what you want?
Have you seen the rivets on that?

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Gandalf on 26 January 2017, 10:53:07 PM
Would it not be easier for you to cut the heads off some of the existing WWII American figures in M1 helmets to provide you with what you want?

In the short to middle (to long really) term surely this is the only option available?

Leon said:
Quote from: Leon on 16 January 2017, 07:39:39 PM
I think separate heads or weapons isn't something we'd be looking to do any time soon.

Now to me this reads as a very polite, "Not for a couple of years if ever"! 

The main thing that stands out for me against this being a viable option is that usually whenever a suggestion is made - no matter how random - at least a half dozen of the regulars shout, "Me too!" *AND* these are customers who will *DEFINITELY* place an order for the weird and esoteric request made (19thC Marching Band anyone?!  ;) )

Maybe your best option would be a PM conversation with Leon about a bag of severed heads, then at least the bodies can be lobbed back into the smelting pot so you don't have to feel bad about the waste?

Cheers,

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )